Companies Act 2014
Proceedings at meetings
187. (1) Each provision of this section applies save to the extent that the company's constitution provides otherwise.
(2) The chairperson, if any, of the board of directors shall preside as chairperson at every general meeting of the company, or if there is no such chairperson, or if he or she is not present within 15 minutes after the time appointed for the holding of the meeting or is unwilling to act, the directors present shall elect one of their number to be chairperson of the meeting.
(3) If at any meeting no director is willing to act as chairperson or if no director is present within 15 minutes after the time appointed for holding the meeting, the members present shall choose one of their number to be chairperson of the meeting.
(4) The chairperson may, with the consent of any meeting at which a quorum is present, and shall if so directed by the meeting, adjourn the meeting from time to time and from place to place.
(5) However no business shall be transacted at any adjourned meeting other than the business left unfinished at the meeting from which the adjournment took place.
(6) When a meeting is adjourned for 30 days or more, notice of the adjourned meeting shall be given as in the case of an original meeting but, subject to that, it shall not be necessary to give any notice of an adjournment or of the business to be transacted at an adjourned meeting.
(7) Unless a poll is demanded in accordance with section 189 , at any general meeting—
(a) a resolution put to the vote of the meeting shall be decided on a show of hands;
(b) a declaration by the chairperson that a resolution has, on a show of hands, been carried or carried unanimously, or by a particular majority, or lost, and an entry to that effect in the book containing the minutes of the proceedings of the company shall be conclusive evidence of the fact without proof of the number or proportion of the votes recorded in favour of or against such resolution.
(8) Where there is an equality of votes, whether on a show of hands or on a poll, the chairperson of the meeting at which the show of hands takes place or at which the poll is demanded, shall be entitled to a second or casting vote.