Companies Act 2014
Right to demand a poll
189. (1) At a meeting, a poll may be demanded in relation to a matter (whether before or on the declaration of the result of the show of hands in relation to it).
(2) A demand for such a poll may be made by—
(a) the chairperson of the meeting;
(b) at least 3 members present in person or by proxy;
(c) any member or members present in person or by proxy and representing not less than 10 per cent of the total voting rights of all the members of the company concerned having the right to vote at the meeting; or
(d) a member or members holding shares in the company concerned conferring the right to vote at the meeting, being shares on which an aggregate sum has been paid up equal to not less than 10 per cent of the total sum paid up on all the shares conferring that right.
(3) A demand for such a poll may be withdrawn by the person or persons who have made the demand.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), if a poll is duly demanded it shall be taken in such manner as the chairperson of the meeting directs, and the result of the poll shall be deemed to be the resolution, in relation to the matter concerned, of the meeting at which the poll was demanded.
(5) A poll demanded with regard to the election of a chairperson or on a question of adjournment shall be taken forthwith.
(6) A poll demanded on any other question shall be taken at such time as the chairperson of the meeting directs, and any business other than that on which a poll is demanded may be proceeded with pending the taking of the poll.
(7) The instrument appointing a proxy to vote at a meeting of a company shall be deemed also to confer authority to demand or join in demanding a poll, and for the purposes of subsections (2) and (3), a demand by a person as proxy for a member shall be the same as a demand by the member.
Modifications (not altering text):
Section construed (29.01.2020) by Migration of Participating Securities Act 2019 (50/2019), s. 8(b), S.I. No. 26 of 2020.
Quorum for meeting referred to in section 6(1)
8. Notwithstanding anything contained in the participating issuer’s constitution—
(a) the quorum for the meeting referred to in section 6 (1) at which the special resolution there mentioned is to be proposed shall be at least 3 persons holding or representing by proxy at least one-third in nominal value of the issued shares in the participating issuer and section 182 of the Act of 2014 shall, in relation to that meeting, be construed accordingly, and
(b) any member of the participating issuer who is present in person or by proxy at the foregoing meeting may demand a poll in relation to a matter at the meeting and section 189 of the Act of 2014 shall, in relation to that meeting, be construed accordingly.