Companies Act 2014
Rectification of register
173. (1) If—
(a) the name of any person is, without sufficient cause, entered in the register of members or omitted from it, in contravention of subsections (1) and (3) of section 169, or
(b) default is made in entering on the register, within the period fixed by subsection (4) of section 169, the fact of any person’s having ceased to be a member,
the person aggrieved, or any member of the company, or the company, may apply to the court for rectification of the register.
(2) Where an application is made under this section, the court may either refuse the application or may order rectification of the register and payment by the company of compensation for any loss sustained by any party aggrieved.
(3) On an application under this section the court may decide any question relating to the title of any person who is a party to the application to have his or her name entered in or omitted from the register (whether the question arises between members or alleged members, or between members or alleged members on the one hand and the company on the other hand) and generally may decide any question necessary or expedient to be decided for rectification of the register.
(4) The court when making an order for rectification of the register shall by its order direct, if appropriate, notice of the rectification to be given to the Registrar.
(5) A company may, without application to the court, at any time rectify any error or omission in the register but such a rectification shall not adversely affect any person unless he or she agrees to the rectification made.
(6) The company shall, within 21 days after the date on which the rectification under subsection (5) has been made, give notice, in the prescribed form, of the rectification to the Registrar if the error or omission referred to in subsection (5) also occurs in any document forwarded by the company to the Registrar.
(7) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (5), a rectification may be effected by the company under that subsection of an error or omission that relates to the amount of the company’s issued share capital (whether it consists of an overstatement or understatement of it) and subsection (6) shall apply, in the circumstances there set out, in the event of such a rectification.