Children Act 2001
Designation of children detention schools.
160.—(1) The Minister may, with the agreement of its owners, provide any place, or any school or premises, for use as a children detention school and by order designate it as such a school.
(2) The Minister may arrange for the construction of any building for use as a children detention school and by order designate it as such a school.
(3) The Minister may direct one of his or her officers—
(a) to examine the structure, condition and environs of any place, school, premises or building referred to in subsections (1) and (2), and
(b) to report to the Minister on its suitability as a children detention school,
and for that purpose the officer so directed may, with the Minister’s approval, employ whatever expert help and advice he or she considers necessary.
(4) No order shall be made by the Minister under this section in relation to any place, school, premises or building unless, having considered a report under subsection (3), he or she is satisfied that it is suitable for use as a children detention school.
(5) An order under this section may be revoked by the Minister, including an order under this subsection.
(6) An order under this section shall be laid by the Minister before each House of the Oireachtas.
Power pursuant to section exercised (22.01.2016) by Children Act 2001 (Section 160 Designation) Order 2016 (S.I. No. 28 of 2016), in effect as per art. 2.
Power pursuant to section exercised (18.03.2015 and 29.03.2015) by Children Act 2001 (Section 160 Designation) Order 2015 (S.I. No. 94 of 2015), art. 2 in effect as per art. 1(2) and art. 3 in effect as per art. 1(3).