Children Act 2001
Provision of other places for detention of children.
161.—F157[(1) The Minister may enter into arrangements with any person or body for the provision by that person or body on behalf of the Minister of a place (except a prison) where children found guilty of offences can be detained.
(1A) Before entering into any such arrangements, the Minister shall be satisfied that the place provides treatment or other facilities not available in children detention schools.
(1B) The Minister may enter into arrangements under subsection (1) with more than one such person or body.
(1C) A child detained in a children detention school may be transferred to a place provided under subsection (1) with the agreement of the Minister and the person or body providing the place and, with such agreement, may be transferred back to that school ]
(2) The provisions of this Part relating to children detention schools shall, subject to subsection (3), apply to a place provided under subsection (1).
(3) Where a place is so provided, provisions as to its management, staffing and operation generally and the terms, conditions and rules under which it operates shall be subject to agreement between the persons managing it and the Minister.
(4) The powers of any court in relation to children detention schools shall apply also to a place provided under this section.
(5) Any such place need not cater exclusively for children found guilty of offences.
(6) The Minister shall cause the President of the High Court, the President of the Circuit Court and the President of the District Court to be notified of any arrangements entered into under subsection (1).
F158[(7) In this section, “place” includes part of a building.]
Substituted (1.03.2007) by Criminal Justice Act 2006 (26/2006), s. 149(a), S.I. No. 65 of 2007.
Inserted (1.03.2007) by Criminal Justice Act 2006 (26/2006), s. 149(b), S.I. No. 65 of 2007.