Children Act 2001

Compensation by parent or guardian.


113.—(1) Where a court is satisfied of the guilt of a child and that the appropriate way of dealing with the case is to make a compensation order (whether in addition to or instead of any other order), it may order that the compensation be paid by the parent or guardian of the child instead of by the child.

(2) The court may not order that the compensation be paid by a parent or guardian unless it is satisfied that a wilful failure of the parent or guardian to take care of or to control the child contributed to the child’s criminal behaviour.

(3) An order may not be made under subsection (1) without giving the parent or guardian concerned an opportunity to be heard.

(4) Any sums imposed and ordered to be paid by a parent or guardian under this section may be recovered in like manner as if the order had been made on the conviction of the parent or guardian of the offence of which the child was found guilty.

(5) In determining whether to order a parent or guardian to pay compensation in accordance with subsection (1) and in determining the amount of the compensation, the court shall have regard to the present and future means of the parent or guardian in so far as they appear or are known to the court and for that purpose the court may require the parent or guardian to give evidence as to those means and his or her financial commitments.

(6) A parent or guardian who is the subject of a compensation order may appeal against the order.

(7) Notwithstanding anything in section 6 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1993, any sum ordered by a court to be paid under this section in respect of loss of or damage to property shall not be greater than the cost of its replacement or repair, as the case may be, and shall not include any loss or damage of a consequential nature.

(8) This section does not apply in relation to any person who is taking care of a child on behalf of F113[the F114[Child and Family Agency]].




Substituted (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 75 and sch. 7 part 11 item 14, S.I. No. 887 of 2004.


Substituted (1.01.2014) by Child and Family Agency Act 2013 (40/2013), s. 97 and sch. 2 part 14 item 1, S.I. No. 502 of 2013.