Companies Act 2014
Fiduciary duties of directors — provisions introductory to section 228
227. (1) Without prejudice to the provisions of any enactment (including this Act), a director of a company shall owe the duties set out in section 228 (the “relevant duties”) to the company (and the company alone).
(2) The breach by a director of the relevant duties shall not of itself affect—
(a) the validity of any contract or other transaction, or
(b) the enforceability, other than by the director in breach of that duty, of any contract or other transaction by any person,
but nothing in this subsection affects the principles of liability of a third party where he or she has been an accessory to a breach of duty or has knowingly received a benefit therefrom.
(3) The relevant duties shall be enforced in the same way as any other fiduciary duty owed to a company by its directors.
(4) The relevant duties (other than those set out in section 228(1)(b) and (h)) are based on certain common law rules and equitable principles as they apply in relation to the directors of companies and shall have effect in place of those rules and principles as regards the duties owed to a company by a director.
(5) The relevant duties (other than those set out in section 228(1)(b) and (h)) shall be interpreted, and the provisions concerned of section 228 shall be applied, in the same way as common law rules or equitable principles; regard shall be had to the corresponding common law rules and equitable principles in interpreting those duties and applying those provisions.
Modifications (not altering text):
Application of section restricted (11.07.2022) by Eirgrid, Electricity and Turf (Amendment) Act 2022 (17/2022), s. 5(3), (4), S.I. No. 352 of 2022.
Consequences of measures taken pursuant to direction of Commission
(3) EirGrid, shall, notwithstanding any limitation in its constitution (within the meaning of section 2 of the Companies Act 2014) have such powers as may be necessary to enable it to comply with any direction.
(4) Any action taken by a director of EirGrid in order to comply with a direction shall not constitute a breach of section 227 or 228 of the Companies Act 2014.