Companies Act 2014
Supplemental provisions in relation to section 216 — “relevant fee”, power to alter the amount of it, offences, etc.
217. (1) In section 216 “relevant fee” means—
(a) in a case falling within subsection (9) of that section—
(i) where one register is inspected, €10.00 or such less sum as the company may determine; or
(ii) subject to subsection (2), where more than one register is inspected on the same day or in any period of 24 consecutive hours, €15.00 or such less sum as the company may determine;
(b) in a case falling within subsection (13) of that section, €10.00 per copy or such less sum as the company may determine.
(2) Subsection (1)(a)(ii) only applies if—
(a) the inspections concerned are made by, or on behalf of, the same person; and
(b) at the time the first request for inspection is made (by, or on behalf of, the same person) during the period concerned it is indicated to the company that more than one register will be inspected (by, or on behalf of, that person) during that period.
(3) If a company fails to comply with any of subsections (3) to (10), or subsection (13), of section 216, the company and any officer of it who is in default shall be guilty of a category 3 offence.
(4) The court may, on application being made to it, make the following orders:
(a) in the case of a failure to comply with any of subsections (7) to (10) of section 216, an order compelling an immediate inspection of the register or document concerned;
(b) in the case of a failure to comply with section 216(13), an order directing that the copy requested be sent to the person requesting it.
(5) Subject to subsections (6) to (8), the Minister may, by order, alter a sum specified in paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of “relevant fee” in this section.
(6) An order under subsection (5) may only be made, at a particular time (the “relevant time”), if it appears to the Minister the changes in the value of money generally in the State that have occurred during the period beginning—
(a) on this Act’s passing, or
(b) if the powers under that subsection have previously been exercised, immediately after their last previous exercise,
and ending at the relevant time warrant the exercise of powers under that subsection for the following purpose.
(7) That purpose is to relieve companies of an additional financial expense that they would otherwise incur (by reason of the foregoing changes) in complying with the provisions specified in the definition of “relevant fee” in this section if the powers under subsection (5) were not exercised at the relevant time.
(8) Without prejudice to subsections (6) and (7), in making any order under subsection (5), the Minister shall take into account the general costs incurred by a company in facilitating the inspection, or providing copies, of the registers or other documents referred to in the provisions specified in the definition of “relevant fee” in this section.