Companies Act 2014
Alteration of objects clause by special resolution
1184. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a CLG may, by special resolution, alter the provisions of its memorandum of association by abandoning, restricting or amending any existing object or by adopting a new object and any alteration so made shall be as valid as if originally contained therein, and be subject to alteration in like manner.
(2) If an application is made to the court in accordance with this section for the alteration to be cancelled, it shall not have effect except in so far as it is confirmed by the court.
(3) Subject to subsection (4), an application under this section may be made—
(a) by not less than 15 per cent of the CLG’s members, or
(b) by the holders of not less than 15 per cent of the CLG’s debentures, entitling the holders to object to alterations of its objects.
(4) An application shall not be made under this section by any person who has consented to or voted in favour of the alteration.
(5) An application under this section shall be made within 21 days after the date on which the resolution altering the CLG’s objects was passed and may be made on behalf of the persons entitled to make the application by such one or more of their number as they may appoint in writing for the purpose.
(6) On an application under this section, the court may—
(a) make an order cancelling the alteration or confirming the alteration, either wholly or in part, and on such terms and conditions as it thinks fit, and
(b) if it thinks fit, adjourn the proceedings in order that an arrangement may be made to the satisfaction of the court for the purchase of the interests of dissenting members and may give such directions and make such orders as it may think expedient for facilitating or carrying into effect any such arrangement.