Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2014


Interpretation (Part 4)

35. In this Part—

“housing assistance” means the payment by a housing authority of rent for a dwelling to a landlord on behalf of a qualified household in accordance with this Part;

“landlord” means the person for the time being entitled to receive, otherwise than as agent for another person, the rent payable under a tenancy in a dwelling in respect of which housing assistance is provided;

“overcrowding” has the meaning given in section 63 of the Principal Act;

“public service card” has the same meaning as it has in section 263 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005;

“qualified household” means a household qualified for social housing support in accordance with section 20 of the Act of 2009, in respect of whom housing assistance under this Part is an appropriate form of social housing support;

“rent contribution” means the payment to the housing authority by a tenant who is a member of a qualified household of a contribution in respect of the rent for a dwelling paid by the authority to a landlord on behalf of the tenant’s household;

“social housing support” shall be read in accordance with section 19 of the Act of 2009;

“tenancy” includes a periodic tenancy and a tenancy for a fixed term, whether oral or in writing or implied, and includes a subtenancy, and cognate words shall be read accordingly.


Modifications (not altering text):


Application of Part restricted (19.08.2021) by Affordable Housing Act 2021 (25/2021), s. 34(1), S.I. No. 424 of 2021.

Housing assistance payment

34. (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of Part 4 of the Act of 2014 a household shall not be deemed to be qualified for housing assistance in respect of a cost rental dwelling, and for the avoidance of doubt—

(a) a housing authority shall not provide housing assistance in respect of a cost rental dwelling, and

(b) a landlord shall not receive the payment of housing assistance in respect of a cost rental dwelling,

unless at least one member of the household for which housing assistance is sought has been party to a current tenancy agreement in respect of that cost rental dwelling for a continuous period of more than 6 months.