Taxi Regulation Act 2013
24. (1) The Authority may make an order (in this section referred to as a “maximum fares order”) fixing the maximum fares that may be charged by the driver of a taxi.
(2) Different maximum fares may be fixed under this section—
(a) in respect of hires engaged on a single hire basis and on a shared hire basis,
(b) for different circumstances or times.
(3) Before fixing maximum fares under this section the Authority shall—
(a) consult with—
(i) the Advisory Committee, and
(ii) the Legal Metrology Service,
(b) publish a notice on its website and in one or more national newspapers—
(i) indicating that it is proposed to exercise the function, and
(ii) stating that representations in relation to the proposal may be made in writing to the Authority before a specified date (which shall be not less than one month after the publication of the notice),
(c) consider any observations made by the Advisory Committee, the Legal Metrology Service and any representations made pursuant to paragraph (b).
(4) Where maximum fares are fixed under this section by the Authority, details of the fares fixed shall be published by the Authority on its website and in one or more national newspapers.
(5) An officer of the Authority may issue a certificate that on a specified day specified fares were the maximum fares fixed.
(6) A certificate purporting to be issued under subsection (5) that on a specified day a specified fare was the maximum fare fixed for a taxi shall, without proof of the signature of the person purporting to sign it or that he or she was the proper person to issue it, be evidence until the contrary is shown of the matters certified in the certificate.
(7) The driver of a taxi who charges or attempts to charge a fare for a hire that is greater than the maximum fare that may be calculated in accordance with a maximum fares order commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class B fine.
(8) A person, or where prior arrangements in relation to payment have been made with another party, that party, who has hired a small public service vehicle shall pay the fare agreed in advance for the hire or, where the maximum fare for the hire is subject to a maximum fares order, the fare determined in accordance with that order.
(9) A person who hires a small public service vehicle and who, without reasonable excuse, does not comply with subsection (8) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a class D fine.
(10) The validity of any maximum fares order shall not be affected by non-compliance with subsection (3) or (4).
(11) In this section—
“shared hire” means a hire which is engaged jointly by more than one person at the same time, not necessarily terminating at the same location, from an appointed stand which has been designated for shared hire purposes by a local authority;
“single hire” means a hire which is engaged by one person on that person’s sole behalf or on behalf of that person and additional persons.
Power pursuant to section exercised (1.09.2022) by Taxi Regulation (Maximum Fares) Order 2022 (S.I. No. 293 of 2022), in effect as per art. 2.
Power pursuant to section exercised (1.02.2018) by Taxi Regulation (Maximum Fares) Order 2017 (S.I. No. 458 of 2017), in effect as per art. 2.
A class B fine means a fine not greater than €4,000 as provided (4.01.2011) by Fines Act 2010 (8/2010), ss. 3, 5(1), S.I. No. 662 of 2010.
A class D fine means a fine not greater than €1,000 as provided (4.01.2011) by Fines Act 2010 (8/2010), ss. 3, 7(1), S.I. No. 662 of 2010.
Previous affecting provision: power pursuant to section exercised (30.04.2015) by Taxi Regulation Act 2013 (Maximum Fares) Order 2015 (S.I. No. 127 of 2015), in effect as per art. 2; superseded (1.02.2018) by Taxi Regulation (Maximum Fares) Order 2017 (S.I. No. 458 of 2017), in effect as per art. 2.
Previous affecting provision: power pursuant to section exercised (7.04.2014) by Small Public Service Vehicle (Consolidation and Reform) Regulations 2014 (S.I. No. 165 of 2014), in effect as per reg. 2; revoked (31.01.2015 and 30.04.2015) by Taxi Regulation (Small Public Service Vehicle) Regulations 2015 (S.I. No. 33 of 2015), reg. 4(2), in effect as per reg. 2.