Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012
Deduction by employer.
72.— (1) An employer who is directed by the Revenue Commissioners under section 65 to deduct local property tax from a liable person’s net emoluments shall do so at a time and frequency which corresponds with the payment of the liable person’s emoluments.
(2) To the extent that there are not, in the period specified in the direction concerned, sufficient net emoluments paid to the liable person to meet the whole amount of local property tax concerned, this section shall be read as only being applicable to the portion of that amount of local property tax that can be met by deductions in those circumstances and section 74 shall be read accordingly, but this subsection is without prejudice to sections 70 and 76.
(3) On any payment of net emoluments to or on behalf of a liable person, the employer shall deduct local property tax in accordance with subsection (4).
(4) Subject to subsection (5), the amount of local property tax to be deducted from a liable person’s net emoluments on each payday is the amount determined by the following formula:
A is the amount of local property tax contained in the direction given under section 65, and
B is the number of paydays between the date on which the direction under section 65 is given and the end of the period for which that direction is given.
(5) Where an employer is unable to deduct the amount of local property tax determined by the formula in subsection (4) because of an insufficiency of net emoluments made to a liable person on a particular payday, the employer shall—
(a) make up any under-deduction from net emoluments to be paid to the liable person later in the period specified in the direction as soon as is practicable, and
(b) notify the Revenue Commissioners that he or she was unable to deduct the required amount of local property tax and the notification shall specify the amount of local property tax that was not deducted.
(6) Where an employer is unable to make up the amount of any under-deduction referred to in subsection (5) before the end of the period specified in the direction, the employer shall notify the Revenue Commissioners accordingly as soon as he or she becomes aware of this.