Broadcasting Act 2009
30.— (1) In the interests of the proper and effective regulation of the broadcasting sector and the formulation of policy applicable to such proper and effective regulation, the Minister may issue such policy communications to the Authority as he or she considers appropriate to be followed by the Authority in the performance of its functions. The Authority in performing its functions, shall have regard to any such communications.
(2) Before issuing a communication, the Minister shall give to the Authority and publish a draft of the proposed communication and—
(a) give the reasons for it, and
(b) specify the period (being not less than 21 days from the date of giving it to the Authority or such publication, whichever is the later) within which representations relating to the proposal may be made by interested parties.
(3) The Minister, having considered any representations made under subsection (2), may issue the communication with or without amendment.
(4) Where the Minister proposes to prepare a communication which, in the opinion of the Minister, has or may relate to the functions of another Minister of the Government, the Minister shall not issue to the Authority or publish a draft of the proposal under subsection (2) without prior consultation with that other Minister of the Government.
(5) The Minister shall not issue a communication in respect of the performance of the functions of the Authority in respect of individual undertakings or persons.
(6) The Minister shall not issue a communication under subsection (1) in respect of the performance of the functions of the Contract Awards Committee or the Compliance Committee.
(7) A communication shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas by the Minister as soon as may be after it is made.
(8) In this section “communication” means a policy communication under this section.