Residential Tenancies Act 2004
Table to section 34 : interpretation and supplemental.
35.—(1) In this section the “Table” means the Table to section 34 .
(2) In paragraph 1 of the Table “remedy the failure” means—
( a) in the case of a failure that does not result in financial loss or damage to the landlord or his or her property, to desist from the conduct that constitutes the failure or, if the failure consists of an omission to comply with an obligation, comply with that obligation, and
( b) in the case of a failure that does result in financial loss or damage to the landlord or his or her property—
(i) to pay adequate compensation to the landlord F76 [ … ] or repair the damage fully, and
(ii) unless the failure is not of a continuing nature, to desist from the conduct that constitutes the failure or comply with the obligation concerned, as the case may be.
(3) In paragraph 1 of the Table the reference to a failure that provides an excepted basis for termination is a reference to a failure to comply with section 16 (h) where the behaviour in question falls within paragraph (a) or (b) of the definition of “behave in a way that is anti-social” in section 17(1) .
(4) In paragraph 4 of the Table the reference to a member of the landlord’s family is a reference to any spouse F77 [ , civil partner within the meaning of the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 ], child, stepchild, foster child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, step parent, parent-in-law, brother, sister, nephew or niece of the landlord or a person adopted by the landlord under the Adoption Acts 1952 to 1998.
(5) In F78 [ paragraph (aa) of subsection (8) and paragraph 4(b) , 5(b) and 6(b) of the Table ] the reference to the contact details requirement being complied with is a reference to the following requirement being complied with, namely, a requirement (which shall be specified in the F79 [ statutory declaration or ] statement concerned) that the former tenant notify in writing the landlord—
( a) within 28 days from the service of the notice of termination concerned, or, if a dispute as to the validity of the notice was referred to the Board under Part 6 for resolution, the final determination of the dispute, of the means by which he or she can be contacted by the landlord so that the offer concerned can be made to him or her, and
( b) as soon as practicable after any such change occurs, of any change in the means (as so notified) by which the former tenant can be contacted for that purpose.
(6) If an offer such as is referred to in F78 [ paragraph (aa) of subsection (8) , or paragraph 4(b) , 5(b) or 6(b) of the Table, ] is accepted (within such reasonable period as shall be specified for that purpose in the offer) by the former tenant concerned (the “accepter”)—
( a) the resulting agreement is enforceable by the accepter (as well as by the offeror), and
( b) occupation by the accepter under the tenancy created in favour of him or her on foot of that agreement shall, together with his or her occupation under the former tenancy, be regarded, for the purposes of this Act, as continuous occupation by the accepter under the one tenancy.
F80 [ (7) The statement to accompany a notice of termination in respect of a termination referred to in paragraph 2 of the Table shall specify —
( a ) the bed spaces in the dwelling, and
( b ) the grounds on which the dwelling is no longer suitable having regard to the bed spaces referred to in paragraph (a) and the size and composition of the occupying household.
F81 [ (8) The statutory declaration that is to accompany a notice of termination in respect of a termination referred to in paragraph 3 of the Table shall include —
( a ) a declaration that the landlord intends to enter into an enforceable agreement to transfer to another, for full consideration, of the whole of his or her interest in the dwelling or the property containing the dwelling, F82 [ … ]
F79 [ ( aa ) a declaration that the landlord, by virtue of the notice, is required to offer to the tenant a tenancy of the dwelling if the following conditions are satisfied:
(i) the contact details requirement is complied with;
(ii) the landlord does not enter into an enforceable agreement of the type referred to in paragraph 3 of the Table within the period specified in that paragraph commencing —
(I) on the expiration of the period of notice required to be given under subparagraph (i) of paragraph (a) of section 34, or
(II) in circumstances where a dispute in relation to the validity of the notice is referred to the Board under Part 6 for resolution, on the final determination of that dispute;
(iii) the tenancy to which the notice relates has not otherwise been validly terminated by virtue of the citation in the notice of the ground specified in paragraph 1, 2 or 6 of the Table, ]
( b ) where section 35A(3)(a) applies, a declaration that section 35A(2) does not apply to the said notice of termination as the price to be obtained by selling at market value the dwelling that is the subject of an existing tenancy to which Part 4 applies is more than 20 per cent below the market value that could be obtained for the dwelling with vacant possession, and that the application of that subsection would, having regard to all the circumstances of that case be unduly onerous on, or would cause undue hardship on, that landlord. ]
(9) A notice of termination in respect of a termination made on the ground specified in paragraph 5 of the Table, or the statement referred to in that paragraph shall —
( a ) for the purposes of the statement referred to in subparagraph (aa) of paragraph 5 of the Table, be accompanied by a copy of the planning permission required for the carrying out of the refurbishment or renovation of the dwelling concerned, and
( b ) specify, where planning permission is not required —
(i) the name of the contractor, if any, employed to carry out the intended works, and
(ii) the dates on which the intended works are to be carried out and the proposed duration of the period in which those works are to be carried out.
(10) A notice of termination in respect of a termination made on the ground specified in paragraph 6 of the Table, or the statement referred to in that paragraph shall, for the purposes of the statement referred to in subparagraph (aa) of paragraph 6 of the Table, be accompanied by a copy of the planning permission required for the carrying out of the change of use of the dwelling concerned. ]
F79 [ (11) Where, in respect of a tenancy, a landlord serves on a tenant a notice of termination that cites, as a reason for the termination, a ground specified in the Table, the landlord shall give a copy of the notice of termination to the Board not later than 28 days after the expiration of the period of notice given by the notice of termination. ]
Deleted (1.08.2020) by Residential Tenancies and Valuation Act 2020 (7/2020), s. 10, commenced on enactment.
Inserted (1.01.2011) by Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 (24/2010), s. 40(a), S.I. No. 648 of 2010.
Substituted (4.06.2019) by Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 (14/2019), s. 13(a)(i), (b), S.I. No. 236 of 2019.
Inserted (4.06.2019) by Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 (14/2019), s. 13(a)(ii), (c)(ii), (d), S.I. No. 236 of 2019.
Inserted (9.05.2016) by Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 (42/2015), s. 29, S.I. No. 216 of 2016.
Substituted (17.01.2017) by Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016 (17/2016), s. 39, S.I. No. 7 of 2017.
Deleted (4.06.2019) by Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2019 (14/2019), s. 13(c)(i), S.I. No. 236 of 2019.