Children Act 2001
Membership, etc., of boards of management.
167.—(1) Each board of management shall consist of a chairperson and 12 other members.
(2) ( a) The Minister shall from time to time as occasion requires appoint a member of a board of management to be its chairperson.
( b) Where the chairperson ceases during his or her term of office to be a member of the board, he or she shall thereupon also cease to be its chairperson.
( c) The chairperson shall, unless he or she sooner dies, resigns, becomes disqualified or is removed from office, hold office as such chairperson until his or her term of office as a member of the board expires but, if reappointed as such a member, he or she shall be eligible for reappointment as chairperson.
(3) In appointing persons to be members of a board of management, the Minister shall have regard to the desirability of their having knowledge or experience of matters that come within the competence of such a board in the performance of its functions.
(4) Of the members of each board of management at least—
( a) one shall be an officer of the Minister,
( b) one shall be F161 [ an employee of the F162 [ Child and Family Agency ] ] nominated by the Minister for Health and Children,
( c) one shall be an officer of the F163 [ Minister for Education and Science ] nominated by that Minister,
( d) two shall be members of the staff of the children detention school or schools under the board’s management, and
( e) two shall be representative of persons living in the area of one or more than one of such schools.
(5) Members of a board of management shall be appointed for a term not exceeding 4 years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(6) Members of a board of management shall act on a part-time basis.
Substituted (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 75 and sch. 7 part 11 item 16, S.I. No. 887 of 2004.
Substituted (1.01.2014) by Child and Family Agency Act 2013 (40/2013), s. 97 and sch. 2 part 14 item 1, S.I. No. 502 of 2013.
Substituted (1.03.2007) by Criminal Justice Act 2006 (26/2006), s. 158 and sch. 4 am. no. 22, S.I. No. 65 of 2007.