Children Act 2001
Membership, etc., of boards of management.
167.—(1) Each board of management shall consist of a chairperson and 12 other members.
(2) (a) The Minister shall from time to time as occasion requires appoint a member of a board of management to be its chairperson.
(b) Where the chairperson ceases during his or her term of office to be a member of the board, he or she shall thereupon also cease to be its chairperson.
(c) The chairperson shall, unless he or she sooner dies, resigns, becomes disqualified or is removed from office, hold office as such chairperson until his or her term of office as a member of the board expires but, if reappointed as such a member, he or she shall be eligible for reappointment as chairperson.
(3) In appointing persons to be members of a board of management, the Minister shall have regard to the desirability of their having knowledge or experience of matters that come within the competence of such a board in the performance of its functions.
(4) Of the members of each board of management at least—
(a) one shall be an officer of the Minister,
(b) one shall be F163[an employee of the F164[Child and Family Agency]] nominated by the Minister for Health and Children,
(c) one shall be an officer of the F165[Minister for Education and Science] nominated by that Minister,
(d) two shall be members of the staff of the children detention school or schools under the board’s management, and
(e) two shall be representative of persons living in the area of one or more than one of such schools.
(5) Members of a board of management shall be appointed for a term not exceeding 4 years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
(6) Members of a board of management shall act on a part-time basis.
Substituted (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 75 and sch. 7 part 11 item 16, S.I. No. 887 of 2004.
Substituted (1.01.2014) by Child and Family Agency Act 2013 (40/2013), s. 97 and sch. 2 part 14 item 1, S.I. No. 502 of 2013.
Substituted (1.03.2007) by Criminal Justice Act 2006 (26/2006), s. 158 and sch. 4 am. no. 22, S.I. No. 65 of 2007.