Education Act 1998
Information to students and student council.
27.— (1) A board shall establish and maintain procedures for the purposes of informing students in a school of the activities of the school.
(2) The procedures established and maintained under subsection (1) shall facilitate the involvement of the students in the operation of the school, having regard to the age and experience of the students, in association with their parents and teachers.
(3) Students of a post-primary school may establish a student council and, without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1), a board of a post-primary school shall encourage the establishment by students of a student council and shall facilitate and give all reasonable assistance to—
( a) students who wish to establish a student council, and
( b) student councils when they have been established.
(4) A student council shall promote the interests of the school and the involvement of students in the affairs of the school, in co-operation with the board, parents and teachers.
(5) The rules for the establishment of a student council shall be drawn up by the board, in accordance with such guidelines as may be issued by the Minister from time to time, and such rules may provide for the election of members and the dissolution of a student council.
(6) A student council, following consultation with the board, may make rules governing its meetings and the business and conduct of its affairs.