Litter Pollution Act 1997
Duty of occupiers, etc., regarding littering.
6. — (1) The occupier of a public place (not being a public road or a building or other structure) shall keep the place free of litter.
(2) The occupier of any land (other than land consisting of a building or other structure) that is not a public place shall keep the land free of litter that is to any extent visible from a public place.
(3) The owner of any land appurtenant to a residence that is let in two or more dwelling units (not being separate hereditaments) shall, notwithstanding the obligation of an occupier under subsection (2) in relation to land, keep the land free of litter that is to any extent visible from a public place.
(4) Every occupier of land adjoining a public road in respect of which a built-up area speed limit or special speed limit has been established in the functional area of a local authority shall keep free from litter—
(a) any footway adjoining the land and forming, or forming part of, a public road, and
(b) any area of land forming part of a public road between any such footway and the roadway.
(5) No person shall, in carrying out the obligation under subsection (4), deposit any substance or object so as to create litter on a roadway or in any other place.
(6) A person who contravenes any provision of this section shall be guilty of an offence.