Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992
F183[Surrender of licences.
95.—(1) A licence or a revised licence granted under this Part may be surrendered by the licensee, but only if the Agency accepts the surrender.
(2) A licensee who desires to surrender his licence or revised licence shall make an application for that purpose to the Agency, in such form, giving such information and accompanied by such evidence as may be prescribed and accompanied by such fee as may be prescribed under section 99A.
(3) Upon receiving an application for the surrender of a licence or revised licence, the Agency—
(a) shall inspect the installation at which the activity to which the licence or revised licence relates is carried on ("the relevant installation"), and
(b) may require the applicant to furnish to it such further information or evidence as it may specify.
(4) For the purpose of subsection (3), the Agency may, by notice in writing served on the person, require a person who has made an application to it under subsection (2) to carry out, or arrange to have carried out, in such manner as may be specified in the notice, such monitoring, sampling and investigations, in addition to those which may be required under a condition attached to the licence or revised licence concerned, as the Agency considers necessary, and so specifies, and any requirement so made shall be regarded as a condition attaching to that licence or revised licence.
(5) Where the Agency proposes to accept the surrender of a licence or a revised licence, it shall consult with such persons and in accordance with such procedures as may be prescribed.
(6) Having regard to such information or evidence as is furnished to it under paragraph (b) of subsection (3) and to the results of an inspection under paragraph (a) of that subsection and of any monitoring, sampling and investigation required to be carried out under subsection (4), the Agency shall assess the condition of the relevant installation, so far as that condition is the result of the use of the installation for an activity, (whether the activity, the subject of the licence concerned or, if the installation, in contravention of the licence, was used for the carrying on of any other activity within the meaning of this Act, that activity) and the likely effect on the environment or any environmental medium of any emissions from the relevant installation that may occur.
(7) If the Agency is satisfied that the condition of the relevant installation is not causing or likely to cause environmental pollution and the site of the activity is in a satisfactory state, it shall accept the surrender of the licence or revised licence, but otherwise shall refuse to accept the surrender of the licence or revised licence.
(8) A decision of the Agency under subsection (7) shall be conveyed to—
(a) the applicant concerned,
(b) the local authority in whose functional area the activity, the subject matter of the licence or revised licence, has been carried on, and
(c) any person concerned that it has consulted under subsection (5),
by notice in writing, as soon as may be after the decision is made and where the decision is a decision to accept the surrender of a licence or revised licence, that licence or revised licence shall cease to have effect upon the service of the said notice.
(9) The making of an application for the surrender of a licence or revised licence under this section, or the cesser of the activity to which a licence relates, shall in no way affect or diminish such conditions, requirements or obligations applying to or falling on the licensee as are specified in or arise under the licence or revised licence.]
Substituted (12.07.2004) by Protection of the Environment Act 2003 (27/2003), s. 15, S.I. No. 393 of 2004.