Air Navigation and Transport Act 2022
Aviation Stakeholders Forum and Licence Holders Charter
76. The Act of 1993 is amended by the insertion of the following section after section 65:
“65A. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the company shall, not less than twice a year, convene a forum, to be known as the Aviation Stakeholders Forum, to foster the maintenance and improvement of aviation safety and to support the development of a positive aviation safety culture within the aviation community.
(2) The company shall, as soon as is practicable after consultation with aviation stakeholders, by notice published on the company’s website—
(a) specify the organisations invited to participate in the Forum, which shall include recognised aviation stakeholder groups, recognised aviation trade unions and representative bodies, certified aviation organisations and other interested parties, and
(b) determine the rules and procedures of the Forum including the composition of membership to ensure a representative participation from each organisation and the publication of minutes of meetings of the Forum.
(3) The Forum shall meet for the following purposes:
(a) promoting the sharing of best practice aviation safety initiatives;
(b) engaging with the company on matters relating to the regulation of aviation safety in commercial air transport;
(c) the provision of views on proposals for European Union or national regulatory changes in relation to aviation safety;
(d) the establishment of routine communication channels to enable the sharing of aviation lessons learned, best aviation practices, aviation safety performance indicators and the provision of information on specific aviation safety risks.
(4) The company shall, as soon as is practicable after consultation with the Forum, publish a charter, to be known as the Licence Holders Charter, on the company’s website setting out the standards of engagement that will be undertaken by the company with the holders of licences.
(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4), the reference to standards in that subsection includes a reference to standards relating to the following:
(a) the principle of ‘just culture’ as defined in Article 2 of Regulation (EU) No. 376/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 3 April 20142 on the reporting, analysis and follow-up of occurrences in civil aviation;
(b) general principles and policies relating to enforcement actions undertaken by the company;
(c) the right to a response in writing from the company in relation to any refusal to grant a licence, suspension or revocation of a licence or amendment of a licence;
(d) the right to avail of an appeal mechanism in relation to any refusal to grant a licence, suspension or revocation of a licence or amendment of a licence;
(e) the right to make representations in relation to an enforcement action undertaken by the company;
(f) the general guidance that the company will give to the holders of licences as regards the discharge of their obligations as such holders.
(6) In this section, ‘Forum’ means the Aviation Stakeholders Forum referred to in subsection (1).”.