Planning and Development (Amendment) Act 2018
Marine spatial plans
69. (1) The Minister shall, following the carrying out of a process of marine spatial planning, prepare and publish a plan (in this Part referred to as a “marine spatial plan”) for the maritime area in accordance with this Part and the Directive.
(2) The objectives of the marine spatial plan shall be—
(a) to analyse and organise activities in the maritime area for the purpose of achieving ecological, economic and social priorities,
(b) to establish a national strategy for Government in relation to the strategic planning and sustainable development in the maritime area,
(c) to apply an ecosystem based approach for the purpose of supporting proper planning and sustainable development in the maritime area, and
(d) to encourage the colocation of relevant activities and developments in the maritime area.
(3) The Minister may prepare—
(a) one marine spatial plan for the entire of the maritime area,
(b) different marine spatial plans for different parts of the maritime area, or
(c) a marine spatial plan referred to in paragraph (a) and different marine spatial plans referred to in paragraph (b).
(4) The Minister shall, in the performance of his or her functions under this section—
(a) give consideration to the matters specified in paragraph 1 of Article 5 of the Directive, and
(b) aim to contribute to the matters specified in paragraph 2 of Article 5.
(5) A marine spatial plan shall identify the matters specified in paragraph 1 of Article 8 of the Directive and the Minister shall, when making a marine spatial plan, ensure compliance with paragraph 2 of that Article.
(6) Marine spatial plans for the time being in force shall be known collectively as the National Marine Planning Framework.