Water Services Act 2014
Plebiscite on ownership of Irish Water
2. (1) A Bill providing or allowing for the alienation of any share or shares in Irish Water to a person other than a Minister of the Government shall not be initiated by or on behalf of a Minister of the Government in either House of the Oireachtas unless—
(a) a Resolution of each such House is passed approving a proposal to provide or allow for such alienation,
(b) a proposal to provide or allow for such alienation is submitted by Plebiscite for the decision of the People, and
(c) a majority of the votes cast in such Plebiscite shall have been cast in favour of the proposal.
(2) Whenever Resolutions are passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas in respect of the proposal referred to in subsection (1), the Minister may by order appoint the day upon which and during which the poll at the Plebiscite on the proposal shall be held.
(3) An order under subsection (2) shall be published in the Iris Oifigiúil.
(4) On such Resolutions being passed by both Houses of the Oireachtas, the Clerk of the Dáil shall immediately inform the Minister accordingly.
(5) A person who has the right to vote at a referendum on a proposal for an amendment of the Constitution shall have the right to vote in the Plebiscite.
(6) The Plebiscite shall—
(a) put a proposal for a decision of those persons entitled to vote in the Plebiscite as to whether the Government may, if it wishes to, cause the initiation of legislation as referred to in subsection (1), and
(b) be held in accordance with regulations made by the Minister providing for the holding of the Plebiscite and for other requirements and arrangements that will apply in relation to the Plebiscite.
(7) The Minister shall publish details of the proposal and the reasons for it to be submitted to the people in the Plebiscite not later than 30 days before the day fixed as the polling day for the Plebiscite.
(8) In this section “Plebiscite” means the Plebiscite to which subsection (1)(b) refers.