Merchant Shipping Act 2010
Approval of service stations.
83.— (1) The Minister may make regulations to provide for the inspection and approval of service stations for inflatable life-saving appliances and launching and embarkation appliances and for the setting and enforcement of service standards for servicing such appliances.
(2) Regulations under this section shall include such requirements as appear to the Minister to be necessary to implement the Safety Convention in this regard.
(3) In making regulations under this section the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, may prescribe the fees to be charged for the inspection of service stations and the issuing of certificates of approval under regulations made under this section. Fees under this subsection shall be paid into or disposed of for the benefit of the Exchequer.
(4) A surveyor of ships may inspect a service station and any inflatable life-saving appliances found in it to ensure that any requirements under regulations made or a notice given, under this section are complied with.
(5) If the surveyor of ships finds that requirements under regulations under this section are not being complied with he or she shall give to the person in charge of the station a notice stating in what respect the regulations have not been complied with.
(6) A person who operates a service station in contravention of this section or fails to comply with a notice under this section commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €5,000.