National Asset Management Agency Act 2009
125.— (1) The Minister shall consider the advice of the valuation panel under section 124 in relation to the acquired portfolio concerned and shall, no later than 28 days after receipt of that advice—
( a) confirm the aggregate market value of the acquired portfolio as advised by the valuation panel, or
( b) if the valuation panel’s determination of the aggregate market value is greater than the total portfolio acquisition value and he or she considers that the advice of the valuation panel is wrong in a material respect, remit the matter to the valuation panel for reconsideration setting out his or her reasons for doing so.
(2) Where the Minister remits the matter to the valuation panel under subsection (1) (b) , subsections (4) and (5) of section 123 and section 124 apply to the reconsideration with any necessary modifications.
(3) The Minister shall send copies of his or her determination under subsection (1) to NAMA and to the participating institution concerned.
(4) Where the Minister confirms that the aggregate market value of the acquired portfolio is greater than the total portfolio acquisition value as determined by NAMA, the Minister shall direct NAMA to compensate the participating institution by, at NAMA’s option, doing either of the following (or both in any combination)—
( a) returning to the participating institution bank assets equal in value to the difference between the total portfolio acquisition value determined by NAMA and the aggregate market value determined by the Minister, or
( b) giving further consideration to the participating institution (in the form of cash, securities or Government-guaranteed securities or in any other form that NAMA considers appropriate) equal to the difference referred to in paragraph (a) .
(5) The amount of compensation payable to a participating institution under subsection (4) is to be no greater than the amount by which the total portfolio acquisition value determined by NAMA is less than the aggregate market value of the portfolio as confirmed by the Minister.
(6) The value of a bank asset to be returned under subsection (4) (a) is its acquisition value.
(7) The payment for, or transfer of, bank assets under subsections (4) to (6) is subject to the laws of the European Communities governing State aid.