Defamation Act 2009
44.— (1) The Minister may by order declare that such body as is specified in the order shall be recognised for the purposes of this Act, and a body standing so recognised, for the time being, shall be known, and in this Act is referred to, as the “Press Council” .
(2) Not more than one body shall stand recognised under this section for the time being.
(3) No body (other than a body that stands recognised under this section for the time being) shall be known as, or describe itself as, the Press Council.
(4) The Minister shall not make an order under subsection (1) unless he or she is satisfied that the body in respect of which he or she proposes to make the order complies with the minimum requirements specified in Schedule 2 .
(5) If the Minister is of the opinion that a body for the time being standing recognised by order under this section no longer complies with the provisions of Schedule 2 , he or she may revoke that order.
(6) The Minister shall, before making an order under subsection (5), allow the body for the time being standing recognised under this section to make representations to him or her.
(7) Whenever an order is proposed to be made under this section a draft of the order shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas and the order shall not be made unless a resolution approving of the draft has been passed by each such House.
Power pursuant to section exercised (21.04.2010) by Defamation Act 2009 (Press Council) Order 2010 (S.I. No. 163 of 2020).