Dublin Transport Authority Act 2008
Membership of Authority.
14.— (1) The Authority shall consist of a chairperson and F19 [ 11 ] ordinary members who shall perform and carry out the functions of the Authority in accordance with this Act.
(2) The chairperson and ordinary members of the Authority shall be appointed by the Minister as follows:
( a) the chief executive of the Authority as an ordinary member, for as long as he or she continues to be the chief executive,
( b) the holder of the office of Dublin City Manager as an ordinary member, for as long as he or she continues to hold that office,
( c) an ordinary member being the holder of the position of a senior management post in the Authority to be specified by the chairperson with the consent of the Minister, for as long as he or she continues to hold that post, and
( d) the chairperson and F20 [ 8 ] ordinary members, from persons who in the opinion of the Minister have wide experience in relation to transport, industrial, commercial, financial, land use planning or environmental matters, the organisation of workers or administration.
(3) A member of the Authority shall be paid out of funds at the disposal of the Authority—
( a) such remuneration (if any) as may be fixed from time to time by the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, and
( b) such amount in respect of expenses (if any) as the Minister, with the consent of the Minister for Finance, may determine.
(4) A member of the Authority appointed in accordance with subsection (2)(d) including the chairperson—
( a) shall be appointed for a period of not more than 5 years,
( b) whose term of office expires by the passage of time, is eligible for re-appointment. However, he or she shall not serve for more than 10 years in total, and
( c) may at any time—
(i) resign his or her membership by letter addressed to the Minister and the resignation shall take effect from the date specified therein or upon the date of the receipt of the letter, whichever is later, or
(ii) be removed from membership of the Authority by the Minister if, in the Minister’s opinion, the member has become incapable through ill-health of performing his or her functions, or has committed stated misbehaviour, or his or her removal appears to the Minister to be necessary for the effective performance by the Authority of its functions.
(5) A member of the Authority ceases to hold and is disqualified from holding office if he or she—
( a) is adjudged bankrupt,
( b) makes a composition or arrangement with creditors,
( c) is sentenced by a court of competent jurisdiction to serve a term of imprisonment, or
( d) is disqualified or restricted from being a director of any company.
(6) ( a) If a member of the Authority dies, resigns, becomes disqualified or is removed from office, the Minister may appoint a person to be a member of the Authority to fill the casual vacancy so occasioned and the person so appointed shall be appointed in the same manner as the member of the Authority who occasioned the casual vacancy.
( b) Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person appointed to be a member of the Authority under paragraph (a) shall hold office for the remainder of the term of office of the member who occasioned the casual vacancy he or she is appointed to fill and is eligible for re-appointment subject to a maximum term of 10 years.
(7) The Minister shall, in so far as is practicable and having regard to relevant experience, ensure an equitable balance between men and women in the composition of the Authority.