Medical Practitioners Act 2007
Council to prepare and submit statement of strategy.
13.— (1) Subject to subsections (2) to (5), the Council shall—
( a) prepare and adopt a statement of strategy for the term of office of the Council (or, as the case requires, the remaining term of office of the Council), and
( b) submit the statement to the Minister—
(i) within 6 months after the commencement of this section,
(ii) within 6 months after the appointment of a new Minister having charge of the Department of Health and Children if that Minister requests that a statement of strategy be submitted,
(iii) within 6 months of the beginning of the term of office of each new Council appointed under section 17 .
(2) The Council shall prepare a statement of strategy in a form and manner in accordance with any directions issued by the Minister and shall ensure that the statement specifies—
( a) the key objectives of the Council for the period to which the statement relates and the strategies for achieving those objectives,
( b) the manner in which the Council proposes to measure its achievement of those objectives, and
( c) the uses for which the Council proposes to apply its resources.
(3) The Council shall, in preparing the statement of strategy, have regard to the policies of the Government or a Minister of the Government to the extent that those policies may affect or relate to the functions of the Council.
(4) The Minister may direct the Council to amend a statement of strategy submitted to the Minister if, in the Minister’s opinion, the statement—
( a) does not contain any information required under subsection (2),
( b) does not comply in any other respect with subsection (2), or
( c) has been prepared without regard to the policies referred to in subsection (3).
(5) The Council shall comply with a direction given to it under subsection (4) within the period, if any, specified in the direction, being a period reasonable in the circumstances.
(6) The Council may amend an adopted statement of strategy and, in any such case—
( a) subsections (2) to (5) shall, with all necessary modifications, apply to the preparation of the amended statement as they apply to a statement of strategy prepared under subsection (1), and
( b) the Council shall adopt the amended statement and submit it to the Minister within 3 weeks of the date on which the Council adopted the amended statement.
(7) Nothing in a statement of strategy is to be construed to prevent the Council from, or to limit the Council in, performing its functions.