European Arrest Warrant Act 2003
F113 [ Transfer of persons to state from which surrendered.
45B. — (1) Where a national or resident of another state from which he or she is surrendered —
( a ) is surrendered to the State pursuant to a F114 [ relevant arrest warrant ] with a view to being prosecuted in the State, and
( b ) whose surrender is subject to the condition that he or she, after being so prosecuted, is returned if he or she so consents to that other state in order to serve any custodial sentence or detention order imposed upon him or her in the State,
the Minister shall, following the final determination of the proceedings and if the person consents, issue a warrant for the transfer of the person from the State to that other state in order to serve there any custodial sentence or detention order so imposed.
(2) A warrant issued under subsection (1) shall authorise —
( a ) the taking of the person to a place in any part of the State and his or her delivery at a place of departure from the State into the custody of a person authorized by the other state to receive the person, for conveyance to the other state concerned, and the keeping of the person in custody until the delivery is effected, and
( b ) the removal of the person concerned, by the person to whom he or she is delivered, from the State.
(3) Where a warrant has been issued in respect of a person under this section, the person shall be deemed to be in legal custody at any time when he or she is being taken under the warrant to or from any place or being kept in custody under the warrant and, if the person escapes or is unlawfully at large, he or she shall be liable to be retaken in the same manner as any person who escapes from lawful custody.
(4) The Minister may designate any person as a person who is for the time being authorised to take the person concerned to or from any place under the warrant or to keep the person in custody under the warrant.
(5) A person authorized pursuant to subsection (4) to take the person concerned to or from any place or to keep the person in custody shall, while so taking or keeping the person, have all the powers, authority, protection and privileges of a member of the Garda S í och á na.
(6) The order by virtue of which a person is required to be detained at the time a warrant is issued in respect of him or her under this section shall continue to have effect after his or her removal from the State so as to apply to him or her if he or she is again in the State at any time when under that order he or she is to be or may be detained. ]
Inserted (25.08.2009) by Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 (28/2009), s. 20(b), S.I. No. 330 of 2009.
Substituted (30.03.2021) by European Union (European Arrest Warrant Act 2003) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 (S.I. No. 150 of 2021), reg. 36, in effect as per reg. 1(2).