Communications Regulation Act 2002
F113 [ Cost apportionment for electronic communications infrastructure relocation due to road improvements.
55. — (1) Notwithstanding section 254(4) of the Act of 2000 and subject to this section, where an authority undertakes work for the purposes of improving a public road, it shall pay to a network operator all reasonable costs incurred by the operator in the relocation (except in relation to the relocation of ducts as referred to in subsection (2) ) of its electronic communications infrastructure and any associated physical infrastructure necessitated by and directly attributable to that work.
(2) Where ducts, which are provided and made available on a national road by an authority for use by network operators, are required to be moved arising from any works undertaken by an authority to improve the road, then —
( a ) the authority shall only cover the costs of relocating the ducts, necessitated and directly attributable to that work,
( b ) the network operator or network operators using those ducts shall be responsible for any costs incurred by the operator in the relocation of its electronic communications infrastructure in those ducts necessitated by and directly attributable to that work, and
( c ) the NRA shall provide reasonable notice of the roadworks to the network operator concerned.
(3) Where a network operator makes an application for consent under section 53(3) , the NRA shall, where it proposes to grant consent to the network operator in respect of the application, inform the network operator of the responsibility imposed on the network operator for relocation costs incurred by the network operator referred to in subsection (2)( b ) .
(4) Where electronic communications infrastructure and any associated physical infrastructure is replaced or improved by a network operator in the course of relocation due to road improvement, the authority concerned shall pay only the costs directly attributable to work done to electronic communications infrastructure and any associated physical infrastructure as a result of roadworks which would have been incurred if the electronic communications infrastructure and any associated physical infrastructure existing immediately before the road improvement had been relocated.
(5) A network operator shall be responsible to an authority for any costs incurred by the authority where the network operator fails to carry out the relocation of its electronic communications infrastructure in a safe, expeditious and efficient manner.
(6) Where an authority, on an application to it by a network operator to carry out roadworks over, along, on (under section 254 of the Act of 2000) or under (under section 53 ) a public road, gives the operator notice that the road is due to be improved by the authority within the period of 2 years of the date from which the operator intends to carry out the works, the authority shall not be responsible for the cost of relocating electronic communications infrastructure or anything connected with the works where the road improvement proceeds within that period.
(7) Where a dispute or difference arises between a network operator and an authority in respect of the cost of the relocation of electronic communications infrastructure, the dispute or difference shall be determined by agreed conciliation procedures between both parties or, in default of such agreement, by arbitration under the Arbitration Acts 1954 to 1998. ]