Local Government Act 2001
Temporary arrangements with respect to certain polling districts and register of electors.
28.—F47[(1) In this section the "chief executive" means—
(a) in relation to any part of a polling district situated in a city, the chief executive for the city,
(b) in relation to any part of a polling district situated in a county, the chief executive for the county,
(c) in relation to any part of a polling district situated in a city and county, the chief executive for the city and county.]
(2) This section applies where after—
F47[(a) the alteration of the boundary of a local authority, or]
(b) the making of an order under section 23—
F47[(i) dividing a county, city or city and county into local electoral areas, or]
(ii) amending or modifying any division made by such an order,
a polling district existing immediately before the alteration or revision or amendment or modification of such division, as the case may be, is not wholly situated within the area of a local authority or of a local electoral area, as the case may be.
(3) Where subsection (2) applies, the F47[chief executive] of the relevant local authority shall, for each part of the polling district situated within the area of the local authority—
(a) join it or parts of it with any adjoining polling district or districts within that area, or
(b) constitute it as a polling district and appoint a polling place for it.
(4) An arrangement made under subsection (3) has effect until, and only until, the first scheme under section 28 of the Electoral Act, 1992, in relation to the F47[county, city or city and county] in which the part concerned of the polling district is situated comes into operation after the making of the arrangement.
(5) An arrangement made under subsection (3) shall, as soon as practicable, be notified to the Minister by the F47[chief executive].
(6) In respect of a part of a polling district referred to in subsection (3), the F47[chief executive] shall make such alterations in relation to the part of the register of electors in force as may be necessary to secure that the part of the register concerned shall be in conformity with the arrangement made under that subsection and may conveniently be used for the purposes of taking a poll.
Substituted (1.06.2014) by Local Government Reform Act 2014 (1/2014), s. 5(1) and sch. 1 part 1 refs. 34-40, S.I. No. 214 of 2014.