National Minimum Wage Act 2000
F12 [ Functions of Commission
10C. (1) Without prejudice to the generality of section 10B , the Commission shall once each year —
( a ) examine the national minimum hourly rate of pay, and
( b ) make a recommendation to the Minister respecting the national minimum hourly rate of pay.
(2) ( a ) A recommendation under this section shall be accompanied by a report on the matters considered when making the recommendation.
( b ) A recommendation and report under this section shall be furnished to the Minister on or before the third Tuesday falling in July in the year to which the examination relates.
(3) When making a recommendation under subsection (1)(b) , the Commission shall have regard to —
( a ) changes in earnings during the relevant period,
( b ) changes in currency exchange rates during the relevant period,
( c ) changes in income distribution during the relevant period,
( d ) whether during the relevant period —
(i) unemployment has been increasing or decreasing,
(ii) employment has been increasing or decreasing, and
(iii) productivity has been increasing or decreasing,
both generally and in the sectors most affected by the making of an order under section 10D (inserted by section 8 of the Act of 2015),
( e ) international comparisons, particularly with Great Britain and Northern Ireland,
( f ) the need for job creation, and
( g ) the likely effect that any proposed order will have on —
(i) levels of employment and unemployment,
(ii) the cost of living, and
(iii) national competitiveness.
(4) ( a ) If so requested by the Minister, the Commission shall examine and report its views and recommendations on such matters, related generally to the functions of the Commission under this Act, as are specified by the Minister in that request.
( b ) A request under paragraph (a) shall —
(i) be made not later than 2 months after this Act comes into operation and, thereafter, not later than 2 months after the beginning of each year,
(ii) be part of that year ’ s work programme of the Commission, and
(iii) specify the period within which the Commission shall report its views and recommendations to the Minister.
( c ) The Minister may extend the period specified under paragraph (b)(iii) .
(5) The Commission shall once every 3 years report generally on the operation of this Act and, in particular, on the impact of any orders made under section 10D on low pay, income distribution and employment costs.
(6) When preparing a report under this section the Commission shall consult with such persons, including representatives of employers and employees, as it thinks appropriate.
(7) The Minister shall cause a copy of any report or recommendation furnished to him or her in accordance with this section to be laid before each House of the Oireachtas not later than 3 months after the receipt of that report or recommendation.
(8) The Commission shall have all such powers as are necessary or expedient for the performance of its functions.
(9) In this section ‘ relevant period ’ means —
( a ) in the case of the first report furnished under subsection (2)(b) , the period since the most recent making of an order under section 11 of the Principal Act, or
( b ) in the case of a second or subsequent report furnished under subsection (2)(b) , the period since the most recent making of an order under section 10D (inserted by section 8 of the Act of 2015). ]
Inserted (15.07.2015) by National Minimum Wage (Low Pay Commission) Act 2015 (22/2015), s. 7, commenced on enactment.
The section heading is taken from the amending section in the absence of one included in the amendment.