Planning and Development Act 2000

Right to compensation.


190.—If, on a claim made to the planning authority, it is shown that, as a result of a decision on an appeal under Part III involving a refusal of permission to develop land or a grant of permission to develop land subject to conditions, the value of an interest of any person existing in the land to which the decision relates at the time of the decision is reduced, that person shall, subject to the other provisions of this Chapter, be entitled to be paid by the planning authority by way of compensation—

(a) such amount, representing the reduction in value, as may be agreed,

(b) in the absence of agreement, the amount of such reduction in value, determined in accordance with the Second Schedule, and

(c) in the case of the occupier of the land, the damage (if any) to his or her trade, business or profession carried out on the land.


Modifications (not altering text):


Section construed during specified period (3.07.2017 to 31.12.2019) by Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016 (17/2016), s. 24, S.I. No. 270 of 2017.

Definitions (Chapter 1)

3. In this Chapter— ...

“specified period” means—

(a) the period from the commencement of this provision until 31 December 2019, and

(b) any additional period as may be provided for by the Minister by order under section 4(2);


Construction of section 191 (right to compensation) of Act of 2000 during specified period

24. Section 190 of the Act of 2000 has effect during the specified period as if in subsection (1) “or an application for permission under section 4 of the Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016” were inserted after “under Part III”.