Planning and Development Act 2000
Local area plans.
18.—(1) F124 [ Subject to section 19(2B) (inserted by section 12 of the Act of 2010) a planning authority may at any time ], and for any particular area within its functional area, prepare a local area plan in respect of that area.
(2) Two or more planning authorities may co-operate in preparing a local area plan in respect of any area which lies within the combined functional area of the authorities concerned.
(3) ( a) When considering an application for permission under section 34 , a planning authority, or the Board on appeal, shall have regard to the provisions of any local area plan prepared for the area to which the application relates, and the authority or the Board may also consider any relevant draft local plan which has been prepared but not yet made in accordance with section 20 .
( b) When considering an application for permission, a planning authority, or the Board on appeal, shall also have regard to any integrated area plan (within the meaning of the Urban Renewal Act, 1998) for the area to which the application relates.
(4) ( a) A local area plan prepared under this section shall indicate the period for which the plan is to remain in force.
( b) A local area plan may remain in force in accordance with paragraph (a) notwithstanding the variation of a development plan or the making of a new development plan affecting the area to which the local area plan relates except that, where any provision of a local area plan conflicts with the provisions of the development plan as varied or the new development plan, the provision of the local area plan shall cease to have any effect.
(5) F124 [ Subject to section 19(2B) (inserted by section 12 of the Act of 2010) a planning authority may at any time ] amend or revoke a local area plan.
(6) A planning authority may enter into an arrangement with any suitably qualified person or local community group for the preparation, or the carrying out of any aspect of the preparation, of a local area plan.
Substituted (5.10.2010) by Planning and Development (Amendment) Act 2010 (30/2010), s. 11, S.I. No. 477 of 2010.