Education Act 1998
Patron of school.
8.— (1) ( a) The person who, at the commencement of this section, is recognised by the Minister as the patron of a primary school, and
( b) the persons who, at the commencement of this section, stand appointed as trustees or as the board of governors of a post-primary school and, where there are no such trustees or such board, the owner of that school,
shall be deemed to be the patron for the purposes of this Act and the Minister shall enter his, her or their name, as appropriate, in a register kept for that purpose by the Minister.
(2) In any case other than that provided in subsection (1), the patron of a recognised school shall be the person who requested recognition of the school or a nominee of such person and the name of that person shall be entered in the register.
(3) The Minister may amend the register in respect of any school on the application of the person who stands for the time being registered as the patron or of the successor to that person.
(4) In the case of a school established or maintained by F16 [ an education and training board, that board ] shall be the patron of the school for the purposes of this Act.
(5) Where two or more persons exercise the functions of a patron they may be registered as joint patrons.
(6) The patron of a school shall carry out the functions and exercise the powers conferred on the patron by this Act and such other functions and powers as may be conferred on the patron by any Act of the Oireachtas or instrument made thereunder, deed, charter, articles of management or other such instrument relating to the establishment or operation of the school.
(7) In this section—
“ person” includes a body of persons;
“ school” includes a proposed school.