Education Act 1998
Teaching through Irish.
31.—(1) The Minister shall establish a body of persons—
(a) (i) to plan and co-ordinate the provision of textbooks and aids to learning and teaching through Irish,
(ii) to advise the Minister on policies relating to the provision and promotion of education through the medium of Irish in recognised schools generally and in schools located in a Gaeltacht area,
(iii) to provide support services to those schools through the medium of Irish, and
(iv) to conduct research into any or all matters to which this paragraph applies,
(b) to plan and co-ordinate the provision of textbooks and aids to the learning and teaching of Irish and to conduct research into and to advise the Minister on strategies which have as their objective the enhancement of the effectiveness in the teaching of Irish in recognised schools and centres for education.
(2) The Minister may by order, made with the consent of the Minister for Finance, delegate any of his or her functions in respect of the matters referred to in subsection (1) to the body established in accordance with that subsection which shall carry out those functions under the direction and control of the Minister.
(3) The body established in accordance with subsection (1)—
(a) shall, with the consent of the Minister, establish a committee to assist it in the performance of the functions conferred on it under subsection (1)(b), and
(b) may, with the consent of the Minister, at any time dissolve a committee appointed under this subsection or remove a member of a committee from such membership.
(4) The body established in accordance with subsection (1) shall, from time to time, as it considers appropriate, advise the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment on matters relating to—
(a) the teaching of Irish,
(b) the provision of education through the medium of Irish, including matters relating to the curriculum for primary and post-primary schools which provide education through the medium of Irish and assessment procedures employed in those schools, and
(c) the educational needs of people living in a Gaeltacht area,
and the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment shall have regard to any such advice in the exercise by it of its functions.
(5) The Minister may by order amend or revoke any order made under this section, including an order made under this subsection.
(6) In each financial year the Minister, with the concurrence of the Minister for Finance, out of monies provided by the Oireachtas, may make to the body appointed in accordance with subsection (1) a grant or grants for the purposes of expenditure by that body in the performance of its functions.
(7) The Minister may provide such secretarial and administrative support to a body established under this section as the Minister considers necessary.