Education Act 1998
F29 [ The Principal.
23. — (1) In addition to the functions conferred on a Principal by section 22 , the Principal of a recognised school shall —
F30 [ ( a ) be responsible for the day to day management of the school, including guidance and direction of the teachers and other staff of the school and the implementation of the admission policy of the school, and be accountable to the board of the school for that management, ]
( b ) provide leadership to the teachers and other staff and the students of the school,
( c ) be responsible, together with the board, parents of students and the teachers, for the creation in the school of an environment which is supportive of learning among the students and which promotes the professional development of the teachers,
( d ) under the direction of the board, and in consultation with the teachers, the parents and, to the extent appropriate to their age and experience, the students, set objectives for the school and monitor the achievement of those objectives, and
( e ) encourage the involvement of parents of students in the school in the education of those students and in the achievement of the objectives of the school.
(2) For the purpose of carrying out his or her functions under this Act, a Principal of a recognised school shall have all such powers as are necessary or expedient in that regard, and shall carry out his or her functions in accordance with —
( a ) such policies as may be determined from time to time by the board of the school, and
F30 [ ( b ) regulations made under this Act. ]
(3) The Principal of a recognised school shall be entitled to be a member of any and every committee appointed by the board of the school.
(4) Wherever practicable, the Principal of a recognised school shall, in exercising his or her functions under this section, consult with teachers and other staff of the school.
(5) Where the employer of the Principal, teachers and other staff of a recognised school is a person other than the board of the school concerned, a reference in this section to a board shall be construed and have effect as if the said person were substituted for the said reference wherever it occurs. ]