Protections for Persons Reporting Child Abuse Act 1998
1.— (1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“ the Act of 1994” means the Terms of Employment (Information) Act, 1994;
“ appropriate person” means a designated officer or a member of the Garda Síochána;
“ child” means a person who has not attained 18 years of age;
“ employee” and “ employer” have the same meaning as they have in the Act of 1994;
F1 [ ‘ designated officer ’ means an employee of the Health Service Executive or the Child and Family Agency appointed under section 2 of this Act to be a designated officer for the purposes of this Act. ]
F2 [ … ]
“ the Minister” means the Minister for Health and Children;
“ welfare”, in relation to a child, comprises the moral, intellectual, physical, emotional and social welfare of the child.
(2) In this Act a reference to any enactment shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be construed as a reference to that enactment as amended, adapted or extended by or under any subsequent enactment including this Act.
Substituted (1.01.2014) by Child and Family Agency Act 2013 (40/2013), s. 97 and sch. 2, part 10 item 1, S.I. No. 502 of 2013.
Deleted (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 75 and sch 7, part 9 item 1(b), S.I. No. 887 of 2004.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions transferred from Minister and Department of Health and Children to Minister and Department of Children and Youth Affairs (3.06.2011) by Office of the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2011 (S.I. No. 218 of 2011), arts. 2, 3 and sch., subject to transitional provisions in arts. 4-8.
2. (1) The administration and business in connection with the exercise, performance or execution of any functions transferred by Article 3 are transferred to the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
(2) References to the Department of Health and Children contained in any Act or any instrument made thereunder and relating to any administration and business transferred by paragraph (1) shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
3. (1) The functions vested in the Minister for Health and Children by or under the Acts specified in the Schedule are transferred to the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs.
(3) References to the Minister for Health and Children contained in any Act or instrument made thereunder and relating to any functions transferred by this Article shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs.
Previous affecting provision: definition substituted (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 75 and sch. 7 part 9 item 1(a), S.I. No. 887 of 2004, superceded as per F-note above.