Employment Equality Act 1998
Right to information.
76.— (1) With a view to assisting a person (“X”) who considers—
( a) that another person (“Y”) may have discriminated against X in contravention of this Act or may have dismissed or otherwise penalised X in circumstances amounting to victimisation,
( b) that another person (“Y”) who is responsible for providing remuneration to X is not providing that remuneration as required by an equal remuneration term, or
( c) that another person (“Y”) with whom X has a contract of employment has not provided X with a benefit under an equality clause in that contract,
to decide whether to refer the matter under any provision of section 77 and, in the event of such a reference, to formulate and present X’s case in the most effective manner, the Minister may by regulations prescribe forms by which—
(i) X may question Y so as to obtain material information, and
(ii) Y may, if Y so wishes, reply to any questions.
(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (7), information is for the purposes of this section “material information” if it is—
( a) information as to Y’s reasons for doing or omitting to do any relevant act and as to any practices or procedures material to any such act,
( b) information, other than confidential information, about the remuneration or treatment of other persons who stand in relation to Y in the same or a similar position as X, or
F115 [ ( c ) other information which is not confidential information or information about the scale or financial resources of the employer ’ s business and which, in the circumstances of the case in question, it is reasonable for X to require. ]
(3) In subsection (2)“ confidential information” means any information which relates to a particular individual, which can be identified as so relating and to the disclosure of which that individual does not agree.
(4) Nothing in this Act shall be construed as requiring Y or any other person—
( a) to furnish any reference (or any copy thereof or extract therefrom) or any report (or copy thereof or extract therefrom) relating to the character or the suitability for employment of any person (including X), or
( b) to disclose the contents of such a reference or report.
(5) In a case where a person considers that he or she may have been discriminated against by, or in the course of an interview conducted on behalf of—
F116 [ ( a ) the holder of a recruitment licence under the Public Service Management (Recruitment and Appointments) Act 2004 in the course of a recruitment or selection process, other than one designed to recruit or select only from and for the holder ’ s own staff, ]
( b) F117 [ … ]
( c) the Minister for Defence in the course of a recruitment process for the Defence Forces, or
( d) the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána in the course of a recruitment process for the Garda Síochána,
information shall not be regarded as material information for the purposes of this section if it relates to communications with external advisers to any of the persons referred to in paragraphs (a) to (d) or if it goes beyond the permitted information specified in subsection (6).
(6) For the purposes of subsection (5), in relation to a recruitment or selection process, information is permitted information if it identifies the successful and the unsuccessful candidates—
( a) by reference to their sex, or
( b) in terms of the discriminatory grounds in section 28(1) , by reference to those who have the same relevant characteristic as C or the same relevant characteristic as D.
(7) This section is without prejudice to the other provisions of this Act relating to the obtaining of information.
Substituted (18.07.2004) by Equality Act 2004 (24/2004), s. 31, commenced on enactment.
Substituted (6.10.2004) by Public Service Management (Recruitment and Appointments) Act 2004 (33/2004), s. 61(1) and sch. 2 part 1, commenced on enactment.
Deleted (6.10.2004) by Public Service Management (Recruitment and Appointments) Act 2004 (33/2004), s. 61(1) and sch. 2 part 1, commenced on enactment.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions transferred and “Minister for Justice and Equality” and “Department of Justice and Equality” construed (1.01.2013) by Equality Tribunal (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2012 (S.I. No. 531 of 2012), arts. 2, 3(1)(a), 3(2), commenced as per art. 1(2).
2.—(1) The administration and business in connection with the exercise, performance or execution of any functions transferred by Article 3 are transferred to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
(2) References to the Department of Justice and Equality contained in any Act or any instrument made under such Act and relating to any administration and business transferred by paragraph (1) shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
3.—(1) The functions vested in the Minister for Justice and Equality by or under —
(a) sections 75, 76, 79, 94 and 100 of the Employment Equality Act 1998 (No. 21 of 1998),
are transferred to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
(2) References to the Minister for Justice and Equality contained in any Act or instrument made under such Act and relating to any functions transferred by this Article shall, from the commencement of this Order, be construed as references to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.
Application of section extended with modifications by Pensions Act 1990 (25/1990), s. 81J and sch. 4, as inserted (5.04.2004) by Social Welfare (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 (9/2004), s. 22, S.I. No. 141 of 2004, as amended (18.07.2004) by Equality Act 2004 24/2004), s. 66(3)(e), commenced on enactment.
Application of Employment Equality Act 1998.
81J.—(1) In this section ‘the Act of 1998’ means the Employment Equality Act 1998.
(2) Sections 74, [76, 77A], 78 to 81, 83 to 85 and 86 to 104 of the Act of 1998 shall, where appropriate, apply in relation to this Part as they apply in relation to that Act but with the following modifications.
(3) Those modifications are that for the words set out in column (3) of the Fourth Schedule at a particular reference number, being words appearing in a section or sections of the Act of 1998 specified in column (2) of that Schedule at that reference number, there shall be substituted in the place or, as the case may be, each place where those words occur in that section or sections the words set out in column (4) of that Schedule at that reference number.
Power pursuant to subs. (1) exercised (18.10.1999) by Employment Equality Act, 1998 (Section 76 - Right To Information) Regulations 1999 (S.I. No. 321 of 1999).