Consumer Credit Act 1995
Contents of consumer-hire agreements.
84.—(1) A consumer-hire agreement and any contract of guarantee relating thereto shall be made in writing and signed by the hirer and by or on behalf of all other parties to the agreement, and—
(a) a copy of the agreement shall be—
(i) handed personally to the hirer upon the making of the agreement, or
(ii) delivered or sent to the F124[hirer] by the owner within 10 days of the making of the agreement,
(b) in case of any contract of guarantee relating to the agreement, a copy of the guarantee and the agreement shall be—
(i) handed personally to the guarantor upon the making of the contract, or
(ii) sent within 10 days of the making of any contract by the F124[owner] to the guarantor.
(2) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain a statement of—
(a) the cash price of the goods to which the agreement relates,
(b) the amount of each instalment to be paid by the hirer under the agreement,
(c) the date, or the method of determining the date, upon which each instalment is payable,
(d) where the agreement is for a specified period—
(i) the number of instalments, and
(ii) the total amount payable under the agreement (including taxes),
(e) the name and address of the supplier of the goods to which the agreement relates,
(f) any additional costs to be paid,
(g) the cost of any early termination by the hirer of the agreement,
(h) the names and addresses of all parties to the agreement at the time of its making, and
(i) any costs or penalties to which the hirer will become liable for any failure by the hirer to comply with the terms of the agreement.
(3) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain a list of the goods to which the agreement relates sufficient to identify them.
(4) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain a notice, which is at least as prominent as the rest of the contents of the agreement, to the effect that the agreement is for the letting of goods which remain the property of the owner.
(5) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain, in respect of the cooling-off period, a statement that the hirer—
(a) has a right to withdraw from the agreement without penalty if the hirer gives written notice to this effect to the F124[owner] within a period of 10 days of the date of receipt by the hirer of a copy of the agreement, or
(b) may indicate that he does not wish to exercise this right by signing a statement to this effect, this signature to be separate from, and additional to, the hirer's signature in relation to any of the terms of the agreement.
(6) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain a statement to the effect that a hirer is obliged to give the owner information under section 91 as to the whereabouts of the goods to which the agreement relates.
(7) A consumer-hire agreement shall contain in a prominent position the words “Consumer-hire agreement”.
Substituted (13.05.1996) by Consumer Credit Act, 1995 (Section 86) Regulations 1996 (S.I. No. 131 of 1996), reg. 2.