Health Insurance Act 1994
F51[Registered insurers shall make all reasonable efforts to obtain certain information in respect of insured persons, etc.
7C. — (1) A registered undertaking shall, in respect of each health insurance contract that provides for the making of in-patient indemnity payments and that is effected by it on or after 1 January 2009, make all reasonable efforts to obtain the relevant information in respect of each insured person.
(2) A registered undertaking may, for the purposes of obtaining, in respect of a health insurance contract referred to in subsection (1), the relevant information in respect of each insured person, request in writing the policy holder to furnish the undertaking with the relevant information in respect of each insured person not later than 30 days from the date of receipt of the request.
(3) A request under subsection (2) shall be accompanied by a copy of this section.
(4) The policy holder, the subject of a request under subsection (2), shall comply with that request.
(5) A registered undertaking which has obtained relevant information for the purposes of subsection (1) shall not make use of, or disclose, the relevant information except—
(a) for the purposes of making a claim referred to in section 470(3)(b)(ii) or 470B(6)(b)(ii) of the Taxes Consolidation F52[Act 1997,]
F53[(aa) for the purposes of making a claim referred to in section 11C(2), or]
(b) for the purposes of complying with section 125A of the Stamp Duties Consolidation Act 1999.
(6) In this section, " relevant information ", in relation to an insured person, means—
(a) the name of the person,
(b) the sex of the person,
(c) the date of birth of the person, and
(d) the Personal Public Service Number (within the meaning of section 262 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005) of the person.]
Inserted (19.07.2009) by Health Insurance (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 (24/2009), s. 9, commenced on enactment.
Substituted (26.12.2012) by Health Insurance (Amendment) Act 2012 (45/2012), s. 11(a), commenced on enactment.
Inserted (26.12.2012) by Health Insurance (Amendment) Act 2012 (45/2012), s. 11(b), commenced on enactment.