Sea Pollution Act 1991
Amendment of Oil Pollution of the Sea (Civil Liability and Compensation) Act, 1988
1. In this Schedule—
“ the Principal Act” means the Oil Pollution of the Sea (Civil Liability and Compensation) Act, 1988.
2. Any word or expression which is used without definition in the Principal Act and is also used in the Merchant Shipping Act, 1894, shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the same meaning in the Principal Act as it has in the said Act of 1894.
3. Section 16 (1) of the Principal Act is subject to section 44 (2) of that Act.
4. In section 19 of the Principal Act the following shall be substituted for subsection (1):
“(1) It shall be the duty of such persons as may be prescribed to submit annually to the Minister in such manner and on or before such date as may be prescribed, a return for the volume of crude oil and fuel oil carried by sea and received by such persons in harbours, terminal installations and offshore terminals in the State.”.
5. In section 37 of the Principal Act the following subsection shall be inserted:
“(4) Proceedings for an offence under this Act may be taken at any place in the State.”.
6. In section 39 of the Principal Act the following shall be substituted for subsection (1):
“(1) Any summons or other document required to be served for the purpose, or in the course, of proceedings under this Act on a body corporate may be served by leaving it at, or sending it by registered post to, the registered office of that body or, if there is no such office in the State, by leaving it at, or sending it by registered post to the body at, any place in the State at which it conducts its business.”.
7. In section 45 of the Principal Act (which relates to fees) for “the owner of any ship” there shall be substituted “ any person”.