Air Pollution Act 1987
42. — (1) An oral hearing in relation to a special control area order held pursuant to section 41 (3) or (4) shall be conducted by a person appointed for that purpose by the Minister.
(2) A person conducting an oral hearing may require any officer of a local authority concerned to give to him any information which he reasonably requires for the purpose of the hearing, and it shall be the duty of the officer concerned to comply with the requirement.
(3) (a) A person conducting an oral hearing may visit and inspect premises for any purpose he considers necessary in relation to the special control area order which is the subject of the hearing.
(b) Any person who obstructs the exercise of the power conferred by this subsection shall be guilty of an offence.
(4) A person conducting an oral hearing may take evidence on oath and for that purpose may administer oaths, and a person giving evidence shall be entitled to the same immunities and privileges as if he were a witness before the High Court.
(5) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a person conducting an oral hearing may, by giving notice in that behalf in writing to any person, require that person to attend at such time and place as is specified in the notice to give evidence in relation to any matter in question at the hearing or to produce any books, deeds, contracts, maps, plans, or other documents in his possession, custody or control which relate to any such matter.
(b) The following provisions shall have effect for the purposes of the foregoing paragraph:
(i) it shall not be necessary for a person to attend in compliance with a notice at a place more than ten miles from his ordinary place of residence unless such sum as will cover the reasonable and necessary expenses of the attendance have been paid or tendered to him;
(ii) the local authority shall, at the request of the person conducting the oral hearing, pay or tender to any person whose attendance is required such sum as the person conducting the hearing considers will cover the reasonable and necessary expenses of the attendance;
(iii) any person who in compliance with a notice has attended at any place shall, save in so far as the reasonable and necessary expenses of the attendance have already been paid to him, be paid those expenses by the local authority, and those expenses, save as aforesaid, shall, in default of being so paid, be recoverable as a simple contract debt in any court of competent jurisdiction;
(iv) every person to whom a notice has been given who refuses or who wilfully neglects to attend in accordance with the notice or who wilfully alters, suppresses, conceals or destroys any document to which the notice relates or who, having so attended, refuses to give evidence or refuses or wilfully fails to produce any document to which the notice relates shall be guilty of an offence.
(6) Where an oral hearing is conducted on behalf of the Minister under this Act by a person appointed for the purpose by the Minister, the person so appointed shall make to the Minister a written report on the hearing and shall include in his report a recommendation relating to the matter with which the hearing was concerned.