Science and Technology Act 1987
Functions in relation to science and technology.
8.— (1) The Agency shall, in addition to any functions assigned to it by or under the Act of 1961, have the following general functions heretofore assigned to the National Board for Science and Technology—
( a) to act under the Minister as a body having responsibility for the furtherance of science and technology,
( b) to advise the Government or the Minister on the Agency's initiative or at the request of the Minister on policy for science and technology and related matters,
( c) to promote the co-ordination of public investment and of public with private investment in science and technology and to prepare proposals for public investment,
( d) to provide and administer grants and other financial facilities for activities related to science and technology,
( e) to advise the Minister at his request on any matter related to science and technology,
( f) to promote research,
( g) to promote the application of science and technology to economic and social development,
( h) to promote the development of natural resources through the application of science and technology,
( i) to promote appreciation of the value of science and technology.
(2) The Agency may, subject to such conditions as the Minister may prescribe, do all such other things as arise out of or are consequential on the functions assigned to it by or under this Act.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) or (2) of this section, the Agency shall have the following particular functions—
( a) to advise the Government on the need for the establishment of any new institution or the dissolution of any existing institution or on the need for revising the functions of any existing institution and on the nature or form of such institutions,
( b) to prepare and to review periodically a national programme for science and technology in consultation with relevant institutions,
( c) to co-ordinate activities related to science and technology,
( d) to promote participation in activities related to science and technology,
( e) to engage in such activities related to science and technology as may be approved by the Minister,
( f) to disseminate and promote the dissemination of literature and information relating to science and technology,
( g) to engage (where appropriate after consultation with the Minister for Foreign Affairs) in international activities in science and technology, including where appropriate representation of the State at conferences, meetings and seminars,
( h) to participate and promote participation in international collaborative projects in science and technology, and where appropriate to enter into agreements with comparable bodies outside the State, subject to the consent of the Minister and the Minister for Finance and where appropriate to consultation with the Minister for Foreign Affairs,
( i) to engage in studies on manpower, in consultation with the appropriate institutions, in connection with activities related to science and technology and where appropriate to promote the expansion and development of manpower for such activities,
( j) to undertake and assist, in consultation with the appropriate institutions, in the development and exploitation of inventions,
( k) to promote and organise seminars, conferences, lectures and demonstrations, whether in the State or elsewhere, relating to science and technology and related subjects,
( l) to promote the application of science and technology to the development and improvement of industrial and commercial design,
( m) to advise and assist inventors in registering and protecting their inventions.
(4) ( a) The powers and functions conferred by statute on any institution shall be deemed not to be restricted by any provisions of this Act and in the exercise of its powers and functions the Agency shall have regard to the statutory functions of such institutions.
( b) The teaching functions of any educational institute, college or school shall be deemed not to be restricted by any provisions of this Act.
(5) The Agency shall not engage in or promote any activity of a primarily military relevance without the prior approval of the Government.
(6) The Minister may by order assign additional functions to the Agency after consultation with the Minister for Finance and with any other Minister of the Government appearing to the Minister to be concerned.
(7) The National Board for Science and Technology is hereby dissolved.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions under subss. (1)(a), (1)(d), (1)(f)-(i), (2), (3)(d)-(g) and (3)(i)-(m) transferred (1.08.2014) by Industrial Development (Forfás Dissolution) Act 2014 (13/2014), s. 18 and sch., commenced as per subs. (8) and S.I. No. 341 of 2014.
Transfer of functions to Enterprise Ireland and IDA
18. (1) The functions specified in the Schedule are transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(2) The functions transferred under subsection (1) may be performed—
(a) by either Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or
(b) jointly by both Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(3) The functions specified in paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of section 8 of the Act of 1987 are transferred to IDA.
(4) A function transferred under subsection (1) shall be performed by Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or both, as the case may be, in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(5) A function transferred under subsection (3) shall be performed by IDA in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(6) Any assignment of powers and functions under section 9 of the Act of 1993 to Enterprise Ireland or IDA in force immediately before the coming into operation of this section shall cease to have effect on that coming into operation.
(7) Subsection (3) of section 3 of the Act of 1995 is repealed.
(8) This section shall come into operation on the dissolution day.
Functions Transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA
Functions referred to in: ...
3. Paragraphs (a), (d) and (f) to (i) of subsection (1), subsection (2) and paragraphs (d) to (g) and (i) to (m) of subsection (3), of section 8, and sections 12 and 18, of the Act of 1987.
References construed (6.07.1993) by Industrial Development Act 1993 (19/1993), s. 9(3), commenced on enactment, as amended (23.07.1999) by Industrial Development (Enterprise Ireland) Act 1998 (34/1998), s. 44(4), commenced as per s. 44(5). Subsection further amended (25.07.2003) by Industrial Development (Science Foundation Ireland) Act 2003 (30/2003), s. 35(d), S.I. No. 325 of 2003.
Functions formerly exercised by the Industrial Development Authority and Eolas.
(3) For the purposes of this section, references in the Act of 1986 and in the Shannon Free Airport Development Company Limited (Amendment) Act, 1970 to “the Authority” and in the Act of 1987 to “the Agency” shall be construed as references to [Forfás, Enterprise Ireland, IDA and Science Foundation Ireland ], or to any of them, as may be appropriate.