Industrial Development Act 1986
Functions of the Authority.
[1950, s. 3; 1969, ss. 11, 12, 14, 15. New in pt.]
11.— (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Authority shall be an autonomous body with the following functions:
( a) to act under the Minister as a body having national responsibility for the implementation of industrial development policies;
( b) to provide and administer such grants and other financial facilities for industry as it may be authorised by the Oireachtas to provide and to administer;
( c) to initiate proposals and schemes for submission to the Minister for the creation and development of industry and the provision and maintenance of industrial employment;
( d) to provide, develop, construct, alter, adapt, maintain and administer industrial estates and factory buildings together with the associated facilities of such estates and buildings;
( e) to foster the national objective of regional industrial development;
( f) to survey possibilities of further industrial development and advise the Minister thereon;
( g) to advise the Minister on steps necessary and desirable for establishing new industry and for the expansion and modernisation of existing industry;
( h) to give on request advice and guidance to persons contemplating starting new industry or expanding existing industry;
F4 [ ( hh ) to hold and dispose (whether by sale or otherwise) of stocks, shares and securities standing in the name of the National Development Corporation Limited immediately before the commencement of the Industrial Development (Amendment) Act, 1991, and transferred to the Authority by section 3 of the said Act; ]
( i) to provide such assistance of a technical or advisory nature to developing countries as the Minister may consider appropriate; and
( j) to advise on any matter relating to industrial development referred to it by the Minister.
(2) F5 [ … ]
(3) The Authority shall, in the exercise of its functions, act in accordance with policies set out for it from time to time by the Minister.
(4) The Authority may in the exercise of its functions have regard to the extent to which an industrial undertaking will serve to promote national objectives for regional development.
Inserted (31.12.1991) by Industrial Development (Amendment) Act 1991 (30/1991), s. 9(a), S.I. No. 365 of 1991.
Repealed (27.11.2013) by Industrial Development (Science Foundation Ireland) (Amendment) Act 2013 (36/2013), s. 8, S.I. No. 448 of 2014.
Modifications (not altering text):
Functions under subss. (1)(a), (c)-(h) and (j) transferred (1.08.2014) by Industrial Development (Forfás Dissolution) Act 2014 (13/2014), s. 18 and sch., commenced as per subs. (8) and S.I. No. 341 of 2014.
Transfer of functions to Enterprise Ireland and IDA
18. (1) The functions specified in the Schedule are transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(2) The functions transferred under subsection (1) may be performed—
(a) by either Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or
(b) jointly by both Enterprise Ireland and IDA.
(3) The functions specified in paragraph (c) of subsection (1) of section 8 of the Act of 1987 are transferred to IDA.
(4) A function transferred under subsection (1) shall be performed by Enterprise Ireland or IDA, or both, as the case may be, in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(5) A function transferred under subsection (3) shall be performed by IDA in accordance with such directions (if any) as may be issued by the Minister from time to time.
(6) Any assignment of powers and functions under section 9 of the Act of 1993 to Enterprise Ireland or IDA in force immediately before the coming into operation of this section shall cease to have effect on that coming into operation.
(7) Subsection (3) of section 3 of the Act of 1995 is repealed. (8) This section shall come into operation on the dissolution day.
(8) This section shall come into operation on the dissolution day.
Functions Transferred to Enterprise Ireland and IDA Functions referred to in:
2. Subsections (3), (5) and (7) of section 5, paragraphs (a), (c) to (h) and (j) of subsection (1) of section 11, sections 16, 18 to 32, 36 and 37 of the Industrial Development Act 1986.