Health Act 1970

Acquisition of land for voluntary bodies.


F44[40.(1) A health board may, on the request of a body which provides or proposes to provide institutional services or any other service similar or ancillary to a service which the health board may provide, and subject to any general directions given by the Minister, provide for the body any land which is shown by the body, to the satisfaction of the health board, to be required for the efficient performance of the functions of the body.]

F44[(2) Where a health board decides to provide land under this section for a body, it may acquire the land either by agreement, subject to any general directions given by the Minister, or compulsorily under Part VIII of the Health Act, 1947, and may lease such land to or for the benefit of the body.]

(3) Where a health board is requested by a body to provide under this section any land for the body, the board may, as a condition precedent to its so providing the land, require the body to undertake to defray the whole or part of the cost of so providing the land.




Substituted (6.11.1996) by Health (Amendment) (No. 3) Act 1996 (32/1996, s. 17(e), (f), commenced on enactment.

Modifications (not altering text):


References to “health board” construed as references to Health Service Executive (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), ss. 56(a), 66, S.I. No. 887 of 2004.

Definitions (Part 10).

56.—In this Part “specified body” means—

(a) the health boards,


References to specified bodies.

66.—Subject to this Act, references (however expressed) to a specified body in any Act passed before the establishment day, or in any instrument made before that day under an Act, are to be read as references to the Executive, unless the context otherwise requires.

Editorial Notes:


Previous affecting provision: functions under section declared reserved functions (6.11.1996) by Health (Amendment) (No. 3) Act 1996 (32/1996), s. 3(1)(a) and sch. 1, commenced on enactment; s. 3 repealed (1.01.2005) by Health Act 2004 (42/2004), s. 73(1) and sch. 4, S.I. No. 887 of 2004.