Road Traffic Act 1961
Stopping places and stands for omnibuses.
F176 [ 85. — (1) A road authority may, by notice in writing, direct, in respect of a route upon which buses are operated, that specified points shall be stopping places at which persons may board or descend from buses or that specified places shall be used as stands for buses.
(2) A road authority may by notice in writing amend or revoke a direction given, or amendment made, by it under this section.
(3) A person operating or proposing to operate a bus service may apply to the road authority in whose functional area the service is being or will be operated for a direction under this section and the authority may, if it so thinks fit, after consultation with the person, give a direction specifying such points for stopping places, and places for stands, for buses as it considers appropriate.
(4) A notice under this section may direct that —
( a ) one or more of the stopping places specified in the notice shall be used only for boarding buses or, as the case may be, only for descending from buses, or
( b ) one or more of the stopping places so specified, or one or more of the stands so specified, shall be used only by buses providing a service or services operated by a specified person or by specified persons.
(5) A notice under this section —
( a ) shall be given or sent by post to the person who is operating the bus service to which it relates, and
( b ) shall specify the date on which it comes into operation,
and the notice shall come into operation on the date so specified.
(6) A certificate purporting to be signed by an officer of a road authority and stating that a notice under this section in specified terms was in force on a specified day or during a specified period shall, without proof of the signature of the person purporting to sign the certificate or that he or she was such an officer, be evidence in any legal proceedings until the contrary is shown that a notice under this section in the specified terms was given or sent by post to the person named in it and that it was in force on the specified day or during the specified period.
(7) In this section —
‘ bus ’ means omnibus;
‘ road authority ’ has the meaning assigned to it by the Roads Act, 1993 . ]
Substituted (1.02.2013) by Road Traffic Act 2002 (12/2002), s. 16(1), subject to transitional provision in subs. (2), S.I. No. 12 of 2013.
Previous affecting provision: powers conferred on Commissioner of the Garda Síochána by section transferred to Dublin Metropolitan Streets Commission and construction of section modified (1.06.1987) by Dublin Metropolitan Streets Commission Act 1986 (30/1986), s. 8(2) and (8), S.I. No. 67 of 1987. Transfer of functions under 1986 Act terminated (9.04.1987) by Dublin Metropolitan Street Commission Act 1986 (Termination of Transfer of Functions) Order 1987 (S.I. No. 108 of 1987), art. 2 prior to commencement of the section.
Previous affecting provision: powers conferred on the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána by section transferred to Dublin Transport Authority for Authority’s functional area (12.11.1986) by Dublin Transport Authority Act 1986 (15/1986), s. 37(1) subject to transitional provision in subs. (2), S.I. No. 357 of 1986. Dublin Transport Authority Act 1986 repealed and powers transferred back to the Garda Commissioner (1.01.1988) by Dublin Transport Authority (Dissolution) Act 1987 (34/1987), ss. 13 and 8, commenced as per s. 15(5).