Road Traffic Act 1961
Application and repayment of deposit.
77.—(1) In this section “deposit” means a deposit under section 61 of this Act.
(2) Where a person has recovered judgment in any court against the depositor of a deposit for a sum to which this section applies, the High Court may, on the application of that person and if satisfied that the depositor has no goods which can be taken in execution to satisfy the judgment, order the amount of the judgment, together with the costs of the order, the application therefor and the proceedings thereunder, to be paid by the Accountant of the Courts of Justice out of the deposit.
(3) Where the amount of a judgment is paid under this section out of a deposit, the depositor may deposit with the Accountant of the Courts of Justice a sum equal to the sum paid out, and until he does so, he, shall be deemed not to comply with the provisions of this Part of this Act relating to the making of deposits.
(4) Where the depositor of a deposit, if an individual, becomes bankrupt or insolvent or dies or, if a corporate body, is wound up or, if a partnership or other unincorporated association, is dissolved, the deposit shall be applied, firstly, in payment of liabilities for sums to which this section applies and, secondly, as general assets.
(5) Where the High Court is satisfied, on the application of the depositor of a deposit or a person claiming through or under him and after notice to F171[the Minister] and after such publication of advertisements as the High Court directs, that the deposit should be paid out to the applicant, the High Court may order it to be so paid out either unconditionally or subject to conditions.
(6) Each of the following sums shall, for the purposes of the foregoing subsections of this section, be a sum to which this section applies:
(a) a sum against the liability for which the depositor of a deposit, being a vehicle guarantor, is guarantor under an approved guarantee,
(b) a sum against the liability for which the depositor of a deposit, being a vehicle guarantor or an exempted person, would, if he were not such depositor, have been required by this Act to have effected an approved policy of insurance or an approved guarantee.
Substituted (13.01.1971) by Road Traffic Act 1968 (25/1968), s. 6 and sch., S.I. No. 6 of 1971.