Central Bank Act 1942
F237[Responsibilities and powers of Registrar of Credit Unions.
33AA.—(1) The Registrar is responsible—
(a) as the delegate of the F238[Bank], for managing the performance and exercise of the functions and powers of the Bank under the Credit Union Act 1997, and
(b) if management of the performance and exercise of the functions and powers of the Bank under any other Act or law are delegated to the Registrar, for managing the performance and exercise of those functions and powers.
(2) The Registrar has power to do whatever is necessary for or in connection with, or reasonably incidental to, carrying out the Registrar’s responsibilities.
(3) In carrying out or exercising the Registrar’s responsibilities or powers, the Registrar shall, as far as reasonably practicable, ensure that the resources of the F238[Bank] allocated for carrying out those responsibilities or exercising powers are used effectively, efficiently and economically.
F239[(4) In carrying out the responsibilities and exercising the powers imposed or conferred by this section, the Registrar, through the Head of Financial Regulation, is subject to the control of the Bank and shall comply with any directions by the Commission with respect to the carrying out of those responsibilities or the exercise of those powers.
(5) A direction given in accordance with subsection (4) shall not be inconsistent with—
(a) in relation to a function or power to which subsection (1)(a) relates, the Credit Union Act 1997, and
(b) in relation to a function or power the management of which stands delegated to the Registrar under subsection (1)(b), any other relevant Act or law.
(6) In issuing directions to the Registrar under subsection (4) which relate to the exercise of the responsibilities and powers referred to in subsection (1)(a), the Bank shall have regard to the particular nature of credit unions, and in particular by reference to—
(b) the voluntary ethos of credit unions.
(7) The Bank may, from time to time, issue to the Registrar guidelines, not inconsistent with any law, in relation to consultation and co-operation with the bodies and persons specified in subsection (8) on matters concerning the functions and powers of those bodies and persons. The Registrar shall comply with any such guidelines.
(8) The bodies and persons referred to in subsection (7) are the following:
(a) the Bank;
(b) the Commission;
(c) the Governor;
(d) the officers and employees of the Bank.
(9) The Registrar shall provide the Head of Financial Regulation with such information and assistance as the Head of Financial Regulation requests in relation to any complaint to the Bank about the conduct of a credit union.]]
Inserted (1.05.2003) by Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Act 2003 (12/2003), s. 26, S.I. No. 160 of 2003, subject to transitional provisions in s. 36 and sch. 3.
Substituted (1.10.2010) by Central Bank Reform Act 2010 (23/2010), s. 14(1) and sch. 1, part 1, items 49 and 50, S.I. No. 469 of 2010.
Substituted and inserted (1.10.2010) by Central Bank Reform Act 2010 (23/2010), s. 14(1) and sch. 1, part 1, item 51, S.I. No. 469 of 2010.