Sport Ireland Act 2015
22. (1) There shall be a chief executive officer of Sport Ireland who shall be known as, and is referred to in this Act as, the chief executive.
(2) Subject to subsection (5), the chief executive shall be appointed by Sport Ireland with the approval of the Minister, and may, with the approval of the Minister, be removed from office for stated reasons by Sport Ireland.
(3) The Minister may, before the establishment date, designate a person to be appointed the first chief executive of Sport Ireland for a term to be determined by the Minister.
(4) Where a competition to appoint a chief executive is held prior to the establishment day, the successful candidate may be appointed by the Minister as the chief executive officer designate.
(5) The first chief executive of Sport Ireland shall be appointed by the Minister.
(6) The chief executive shall—
(a) carry on, manage and control generally the administration and business of Sport Ireland,
(b) supply the Minister with such information relating to the performance of his or her functions and the implementation of the Minister’s policies and priorities as the Minister may require, and
(c) perform any other functions as may be determined by Sport Ireland.
(7) The chief executive—
(a) shall hold office under a contract of service in writing for such period as may be specified in the contract and subject to such other terms and conditions (including terms and conditions relating to remuneration and allowances for expenses) as may be determined from time to time by Sport Ireland with the approval of the Minister, given with the consent of the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, and
(b) shall be paid out of moneys at the disposal of Sport Ireland.
(8) The chief executive shall not be a member of the board of Sport Ireland or a committee, but he or she may, in accordance with procedures established by Sport Ireland or a committee, as the case may be, attend meetings of Sport Ireland or a committee and shall be entitled to speak at and advise such meetings.
(9) The chief executive shall not hold any office or occupy any other position in respect of which emoluments are payable, or carry on any business, without the consent of Sport Ireland and the approval of the Minister.
(10) The chief executive shall provide Sport Ireland with such information, including financial information, in relation to the performance of his or her functions as Sport Ireland may, from time to time, require.
(11) The functions of the chief executive may be performed in his or her absence, or when the position of chief executive is vacant, by such member of the staff of Sport Ireland as may, from time to time, be designated for that purpose by Sport Ireland.