Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act 2003
Conditions of employment for fixed-term employees.
6.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (5), a fixed-term employee shall not, in respect of his or her conditions of employment, be treated in a less favourable manner than a comparable permanent employee.
(2) If treating a fixed-term employee, in respect of a particular condition of employment, in a less favourable manner than a comparable permanent employee can be justified on objective grounds then that employee may, notwithstanding subsection (1), be so treated.
(3) A period of service qualification relating to a particular condition of employment shall be the same for a fixed-term employee as for a comparable permanent employee except where a different length of service qualification is justified on objective grounds.
(4) For the avoidance of doubt, the reference in this section to a comparable permanent employee is a reference to such an employee either of the opposite sex to the fixed-term employee concerned or of the same sex as him or her.
(5) Subsection (1) shall, in so far, but only in so far, as it relates to any pension scheme or arrangement, not apply to a fixed-term employee whose normal hours of work constitute less than 20 per cent of the normal hours of work of a comparable permanent employee.
(6) The extent to which any condition of employment referred to in subsection (7) is provided to a fixed-term employee for the purpose of complying with subsection (1) shall be related to the proportion which the normal hours of work of that employee bears to the normal hours of work of the comparable permanent employee concerned.
(7) The condition of employment mentioned in subsection (6) is a condition of employment the amount of benefit of which (in case the condition is of a monetary nature) or the scope of the benefit of which (in any other case) is dependent on the number of hours worked by an employee.
(8) For the avoidance of doubt, neither this section nor any other provision of this Act affects the operation of Part III of the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.