Credit Union Act 1997
F141 [ Risk management officer.
76C. — (1) The board of directors of a credit union shall appoint a person (in this Act referred to as a ‘ risk management officer ’ ) with the necessary authority and resources to manage the risk management function within the credit union.
(2) Except where subsection (3)(a) applies or where otherwise prescribed by the Bank under subsection (3)(b) , nothing in this section shall be read as preventing the appointment of a person as risk management officer of a credit union who —
( a ) holds another position as an officer in the credit union, or
( b ) is the risk management officer for one or more than one other credit union.
(3) The risk management officer of a credit union shall not —
( a ) be a director, a member of the board oversight committee or the auditor of the credit union, or
( b ) hold such other position (whether within the credit union or otherwise) that the Bank may prescribe as being inappropriate to hold while being a risk management officer.
(4) The risk management officer of a credit union shall be responsible for identifying, assessing, reporting and monitoring all internal and external risks that could affect the credit union to which the risk management system referred to in section 76B relates, including risks to its employees, members, reputation and assets, and assisting the manager with managing and mitigating those risks.
(5) The board of directors of a credit union shall ensure that the risk management officer —
( a ) has clearly documented reporting lines to the board,
( b ) has access to the board,
( c ) is independent in the exercise of his or her functions and, subject to paragraph (d) , shall be free from influence, and
( d ) is subject to internal oversight by the internal audit function.
(6) The board of directors of a credit union shall ensure that the role and functions of the risk management officer are documented in writing and include any role or function that may be prescribed by the Bank or be otherwise duly provided for by the Bank under any other enactment. ]